_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Australian Blackhawk
callmehobbes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Rather than the usual (and rather drab) US version of the blackhawk, I'd like to attempt the far more colourful Australian version. Does anyone have any info. regarding decals etc.
( I plan to have it hovering over the australian bush ready to lift a vehicle -I'm researching which vehicle to use so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!)
Thanks
empeter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
Land Rovers seem to be a popular choice. Whatever you choose, make sure you research how to rig that particular load for that particular helicopter.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
From what I can tell, the only additions needed to a standard UH-60L are the step bars below the troop doors, square folding stabilator, towel rack antenna, and a few other different antennae.

They also use a unique cabin seating arrangement; the Australians did have a configuration of 5 seats either side, back to back facing the cabin doors running down the center axis of the Aircraft. The more common one at the moment appears to be 4 seats along the back bulkhead with 6 (3 each side) in the back-to-back configuration facing out at the front of the cabin directly aft of the Loadmaster Compartments. But seats are often removed completely leaving only the 2 Loadmaster seats with the infantry just sitting on the floor amongst a jumble of packs, webbing and weapons.

For aircraft weapons, the door guns are MAG-58 GPMG (M240B), as opposed to the M-60 included in kits.

The ESSS wings are only used to carry fuel tanks normally 2 on the outer stations but I have seen 4 carried, they never carry weapons on these wings as Australia cannot use rockets or hellfire or anything from Hawks.

Hawkeye Models does a couple great sets of Aussie UH-60 decals too. They are listed by its civilian model name, S-70-B9.

The Academy 1/35 AH-60L DAP (actually an MH-60L since the US Military doesn't use the AH - Attack Helicopter - designation with Blackhawks) would be a good starting point. It already comes with the towel bar antenna, rear troop seats, and folding stabilator in the kit (plus lots of other extras).

The colors are: Testors Model Master Dark Tan, FS30219; Medium Green, FS34102; and Flat Black, FS37038.

For a vehicle, how about a Land Rover?

Edit: Looks like we were both posting at the same time and found the same Rover pics. Great minds do think alike!!
callmehobbes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the prompt response. Has anyone tried doing an Aussie Blackhawk - I'd love to see some photos.

I'd initially thought of a landrover myself (My inspiration for this mod was the large photo empeter posted) though it's impossible to create the modern version without resorting to costly resin kits. Ano alternative idea I'm working on is the Blackhawk lifting something as part of a rescue operation - again any ideas are welcome. (I have the idea of a partially submerged VW Beetle in a swollen river but I'm still developing it.)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:58 PM UTC
I have the Hawkeye decals and the kit to build an Aussie Blackhawk, I just haven't done mine yet.

How about lowering a medic down to some wounded troops, or a stranded hiker, climber, etc. Sort of like I did with a UH-1H Dustoff in Vietnam.

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
Interesting question and subject you are taking on. I hope you are planing on posting progress pics.

Also, will the pilot be sitting on the "wrong" side of the chopper?

-Derek
longneck1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
this isnt the best but here was my attempt at an aussie hawk
empeter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 08:50 AM UTC
Instead of a vehicle, you could have it lifting cargo. That gives you a lot of configurations to choose from. An artillery piece is another idea.
callmehobbes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:02 PM UTC
I think I have the diorama planned now (I've sketched it out but my scanner is refusing to work so hopefully this description will give you the general idea!)
The blackhawk is hovering over a swollen river. Below is a bridge that has partially collapsed. Several cars are left abandoned on the remnants of the bridge but one has fallen with the bridge into the water. A number of people, civilian and military are trying to attempt to rescue the passengers of the ill-fated car.
Now it's planned all I need to do is find time to make it!
PS. The Vietnam dio is great!
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi Hobbes,

It's probably too late for you but I have just loaded up a truckload of Black Hawk images I took at Avalon this year.

http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/blackhawk_walkaround.html

I hope this helps!

Graeme.

_GOTOTOP