_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Pfalz DIII PE with their D.IIIa
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
I have the Eduard Pfalz DIII PE set #48217 and was wondering if this is totally compatable with their Pfalz DIIIa kit #8046. Is there anything I should not use? Am I correct in thinking that the difference between the DIII and DIIIa was the tail and gun placement? Thanks.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Greetings rolf;
The Eduard aftermarket photoetch for the the D.IIIa (#48217) is totally compatable with their "all plastic kit #8046." This is labeled the "early version of the Pfalz D.IIIa" What makes it "early" are the raked lower wing tips. The "later version had the rounded lower wing tips.

Since you have a D.IIIa kit I am not sure why you ask about the D.III but the differences were;

1. D.III began with the 170 hp Mercedes, the D.IIIa had the 180hp Mercedes.

2. D.III had a smaller area horizontal tail unit. D.IIIa the larger area horizontal tail unit.

3. D.III had the Spandau guns buried beneath the forward deck. D.IIIa had the Spandau guns raised above the forward deck.

4. D.III had its camouflage as either all mauve and green or all silbergraü. The D.IIIa had the fuselage as silbergraü BUT! the wings were either silbergraü or 5 colour lozenge.

5. D.III had blunt cabane strut ends. D.IIIa had blunt and narrowed cabane strut ends.

To check out my build on my website below click on>>> Plow horse in a zoot suit
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:19 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen, My Eduard etch set #48217 is for the Pfalz D.III while my kit #8046 is the Pfalz D.IIIa. I was curious as to wether there would be any parts on this etch set that I would not want to use on the kit such as access panels or cocpit details due to the differences between the D.III and D.IIIa. For example there are a couple of access panels that look like they are for servicing the guns on the D.III. Would these be present on the D.IIIa. The only reference material I have on the Pfalz is an old "Aircraft in Profile" and the details are not to great at helping me determine these kind of things. Again thanks for your help and I will check out your builds.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
Since he guns were raised on the D.IIIa there was no need to have the access panels.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC
There were some differences in the D.III and D.IIIa cockpit detail,too, wasn't there? Does the PE set offer just about one big meter face to be assembled in front of the aviator? D.IIIa had - I think - a bit of instrument panel around the this big meter.

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
By meter Mikko means guage or flight readout. This item is so prominent that at some angles, it can be seen in images where the photographer is standing 6 feet away from the machine taking the photo of the pilot in the seat. This is covered in the Datafiles. Without my references infront of me - if memory serves its an altimeter. ("Hohnmeter"?) or tachometer. I have to check on that. D.III 1370/17 was taken apart by The British and tested extensively. The gauge was in both the D.III & D.IIIa. In the D.III it was little more than a framed instrument gauge. I the D.IIIa the fuselage former was continued up and the gauge was enclosed in a small panel. I note several pilots had small watches attached to these D.IIIa panels as well.

The only real change in the cockpit was the ammunition box was made taller on the D.IIIa types.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 02:32 PM UTC
Here is the D.III PE.

Here is the D.IIIa PE

Though the images here are rather small. Go to http://www.eduard.cz/ then to the products tab click on photoetch and then click on 1/48. Go to page53 and click on the items. Check out the instructional sheets for both. Also check out Datafile #21. Pfalz D.IIIa by P M Grosz. The improved version of the D.III with heavily detailed GAs. This ‘must have’ DATAFILE includes 50 archive photos, 12 close-ups and many detail airframe sketches. Another classic reference!. £9.00

http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/stock.html

Also, Roll Models carries these too.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Without my references infront of me - if memory serves its an altimeter. ("Hohnmeter"?) or tachometer. I have to check on that. D.III 1370/17 was taken apart by The British and tested extensively.

It is actually RPM Gauge, according to the manufacturers handbook. There's drawings from the handbook in WWI Warplanes volume one by Albatros Publications. The gauge seems to quite alone up in the front of the aviator. D.IIIa seems to have a small instrument panel there, usually having no other instruments on it, but the big RPM gauge, tho.

The gauge does not come with the aftermarket D.III PE set, so never mind about it Roy! There is a lot of useful stuff in the D.III PE set for D.IIIa too.

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 05:03 AM UTC
Mikko is right it is a tachometer / RPM guage. Curious that it is only on the D.IIIa set. More on this late.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mikko is right it is a tachometer / RPM guage. Curious that it is only on the D.IIIa set. More on this late.

The D.III set is lacking the RPM gauge probably because there is always one as a PE part with the Eduard kit. At least the Werner Voss boxing had a small PE fret with the kit and the latest double boxing has it in the coloured PE set. BTW the non coloured PE set coming with the double boxing seems to be the very same sold also as an aftermarket item.

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 01:41 PM UTC
Hey Mikko!
I checked mine as well and ditto the RPM guage does seem to come in most of the early issues. 8005, 8031, 8045 - but not in 8044 & 8046. The weekend edition 8415 doesn't have it either. The Limited edition D.IIIa does have it.

By the way I ran down the reference I was looking for. Check with the Datafiles but look for the title "WWI Warplanes Vol. 1- Great Warplanes in Profile." 1992 See p. 22 It has some great diagrams of the intermnal structures titled. "Fuselage Details from Manufacturers Handbook - Key to known areas." It has the listing of all the Pfalz D.III instruments.

Bit of a faux paux from Eduard. I was looking at their site double checking box contents. In several instances Eduard has the Roland C.II plastic on display for the Pfalz D.III plastic. Unless there was a Pfalz D.III with windows in the fuselage sides!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:46 PM UTC
Here is the cockpit of one of my Pfalz D.III builds.
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a D.IIIa set from Roll Models. Now for the long wait which is o.k. since I do not plan on building it just yet. I may do the D.III instead first (the D.III kit came with an etch set but it is not as extensive as the seperately bought etch set). Right now I am in the middle of an Albatros DV build so first things first.

Roy
 _GOTOTOP