_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Scale drawings or plans needed
ErikW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
I'm planning on building a recently acquired 1/48 scale Eduard Siemens Schuckert D.III as the early version of this aircraft. The kit does not include the early version parts as an option. I don't mind making the modifications myself, but the more I look at photos the more I realize there are many differences between the earlier and later versions of the D.III.

Does anyone know if there are any scale drawings or plans out there of the earlier version of the Siemens Schuckert D.III? The Windsock Datafile for this aircraft only has scale drawings of the later version.

Thanks,
Erik
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
Greetings ErikW;

The reference you cite is he Datafile. If you look on page 35 you will find everything you need in the way of measurements o build an early version. Good Luck.
ErikW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 08:03 PM UTC
Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I saw that in the Datafile but since it stated that it was not for the production aircraft I assumed it wasn't accurate for the early SSW D.III. On closer examination it does appear to have all the correct dimensions and flying surface shapes/ contours, etc.

I noticed in your build here

http://www.us-aircraft.com/images/modelersgallery/Lawson%20gallery%203/SiemensSchuckert8346.htm

that you modified the wings as follows, "Balances were either reduced or removed from the flying surfaces". Does this mean you achieved the correct wing tip contour by removing material at the end of the ailerons to make them flush with the wing end?

Thanks again Stephen,
Erik
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:04 PM UTC
Essentially yes. The basic build is on my website as a CD. Don't foget to angle the cut out for the tip cut of the ailerons. For future reference "Balanced" means there is an overhang at the end of the ailerons. "Unbalanced" means that the aileron is contained wholly in the wing plan profile.

ErikW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:09 PM UTC
Stephen,

Thanks for the clarification. I figured I'd do the same thing. It's easier than lengthening the wings to the correct length for the earlier version. Even though the wingspan is then a couple of scale feet too short for the later version, it is not really noticeable. I think achieving the correct wing/ aileron profile is more important.

Erik
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
You will find that the over all length was altered after the factory drawings were done. The first batch of early SSW D.III types that went to JG II actually were the length I note from the images. The first prototypes were done in long and short wing versions. These were the D.II types. If you were to lengthen them it would bring them to a pre-production standard. That is before the early types were produced.
 _GOTOTOP