_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Academy 1/48 La-7 finally finished!
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
It still needs some weathering but that will not take long, This kit required a good bit of work to get to this point; scratch built cockpit and wheel wells, a lot of filling, filing and sanding and some other scratchbuilding as well. All in all, though it built up into a good looking model. Critique away!

Finishing was done with Testors Model Master enamels, Future and Polly Scale clear flat and a combination of aftermarket and kit decals.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Scott

beautiful La-7 except for one nit pick .... the u/c legs look very strange .. I had a look in the VVS modelling gallery and it seems to be a problem of the Academy/Hobbycraft kit ... very "Hochbeinig" .. maybe you can angle the legs a little more forward ... ???

everything else is outstanding! I especially like the antenna wires .. i often fail doing those, no matter what type of a/c

best wishes

Steffen
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Scott

beautiful La-7 except for one nit pick .... the u/c legs look very strange .. I had a look in the VVS modelling gallery and it seems to be a problem of the Academy/Hobbycraft kit ... very "Hochbeinig" .. maybe you can angle the legs a little more forward ... ???

everything else is outstanding! I especially like the antenna wires .. i often fail doint those, no matter what type of a/c

best wishes

Steffen

I agree, they do look a little anemic. I thought about tossing them and scratchbuilding new ones but after all the other scratchbuilding I had done on this kit I was getting a little burned so I let them be. The doors are scratchbuilt though, out of soda can aluminum.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
Scott,

I know you are a very advanced modeller and thus please do not see my comment as a critique against your build but just the model you've started from.

The wheel well covers look good but maybe you should have done a two part assembly .. you already wrote you lost motivation, but as it is it looks a little flat ... Hmm, somehow I have a tendency to write my comments in a way that looks very negative .. it is not meant that way!!

so I will just be quiet and admire your work

best wishes

Steffen
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott,

I know you are a very advanced modeller and thus please do not see my comment as a critique against your build but just the model you've started from.

The wheel well covers look good but maybe you should have done a two part assembly .. you already wrote you lost motivation, but as it is it looks a little flat ... Hmm, somehow I have a tendency to write my comments in a way that looks very negative .. it is not meant that way!!

so I will just be quiet and admire your work

best wishes

Steffen

You know, you are absolutely right about that, I didn't catch that one. That's an easy fix! Good catch!

This kit had so many flaws that if I had caught them all I would probably never finish it!

As for the critique, that's precisely what this forum is for!

m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hey, Scott, that came out great. Looks real sharp.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Nice work Scott. I have a question though. Are there any good resources either online or in book form with good tips on scratchbuilding detailed stuff. I can generally do a good job with big shapes like scratchbuilt stands for my wheel up aircraft, but the tiny stuff just goes horribly wrong for me.
 _GOTOTOP