_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/72 hobbyboss wildcat
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:49 AM UTC
hi all! its been a while since i posted anything here, but heres something i've just finished. at £4 a go these little kits are great if you want something that can be built in literally ten minutes, in fact it goes together more like a die cast than a true kit! the fusalage is one peice, as are the wings, but theres a fair amount of detail in the cockpit, it has nicely done recessed panel lines, and i find these great fun to put together and paint (especially as i'm also working on a pegasus WW1 kit!)

Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 07:05 PM UTC
That looks great Phil. Would you recommend these kits to younger modelers? My son wants to build aircraft, and I would like to find something a little less frustating for him.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC
Great looking Wildcat Phil.
I see you have the P-47 built in the background too. A little production line of Hobby Boss kits going on .

Quoted Text

That looks great Phil. Would you recommend these kits to younger modelers? My son wants to build aircraft, and I would like to find something a little less frustrating for him.

Hi Tony,
The Hobby Boss 1/72nd kits are ideal for younger modelers as they near enough "snap" together. No seam lines to fill, pretty well detailed and enough pieces to keep them occupied for a couple of hours.
My 10 year old Daughter, Courtney (Yoghurt), has about 6 of these kits in her stash and loves building them.
Andy
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 08:25 PM UTC
Quite well done. It's a shame that canopy does not fit better than that but that's not your fault. The finish is outstanding
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tony,
The Hobby Boss 1/72nd kits are ideal for younger modelers as they near enough "snap" together. No seam lines to fill, pretty well detailed and enough pieces to keep them occupied for a couple of hours.
My 10 year old Daughter, Courtney (Yoghurt), has about 6 of these kits in her stash and loves building them.
Andy

Excellent, we will give it a go, thanks!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 04:14 PM UTC
hi all! i forgot to say that i used gunze sangyo acrilic for the underside colour, this was the first time i have used acrilics seriously, after trying to use some tamiya stuff a whiles ago (and that stuff was a nightmare!) this brand however comes airbrush ready, doesn't clog up, is easy to clean and dries to a nice semi gloss finish for decals. i will definitely get some more of this paint!
tony- wot andy said! these kits are certainly aimed at the beginner's end of the market, but they do build into nice kits, not "toylike" at all, in fact i think of them as sort of halfway house between kits and die cast

andy- you mean the alclad test bed? i'm getting it ready for paint as i'm posting this, i have about £20 worth of alclads that i bought over a year ago that i haven't touched yet

scott- i think the canopy is meant to be like that, because to open it has to slide back over the fusalage, in this kit there is a two part canopy that you can pose open as well as the shut one, however theres not a massive deal of detail in there, just enough, so i l used the closed canopy, and now have a opened one if i build another wildcat with a full interior!
 _GOTOTOP