_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
What's typicaly in a Huey UH-1B
zemzero
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
I've been building Mongrams 1/24th UH-1B Huey and have a couple questions.

1. If I model it to be attacking, would the side doors be open/closed, would it matter? I had the vision of modeling it to look like it just fired a rocket. Somehow make a big smoke streak from the rocket blast.

2. What would be inside the Chopper if it was on an attack mission?

I've seen some models of Hueys with headphones hanging from the ceiling, rifles and ammo, and a bunch of other stuff. It looked a lot better than just a plain blank cabin.
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. If I model it to be attacking, would the side doors be open/closed, would it matter? I had the vision of modeling it to look like it just fired a rocket. Somehow make a big smoke streak from the rocket blast.

I've seen some models of Hueys with headphones hanging from the ceiling, rifles and ammo, and a bunch of other stuff. It looked a lot better than just a plain blank cabin.

1. In Vietnam doors would be open so the doorgunner and crew chief could provide cover fire. Rockets did not make big smoke blasts or trails when fired.
2. Itemes carried inside would be at the discresion of the crew and limited by the need to keep weight down, tool kit. All crew members wore flight helmets and there are only 4 cords hanging down fir the ICS system, so I doubt many had headphones in them.

I spent 12 years in the Army most of them has a crew chief on Huey gunships.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 05:17 PM UTC
Yup, Grandad is all over it. He is the man to ask any Huey Gunship questions. Our resident expert on all things gunship.
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino
zemzero
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
Thanks John. The kit only has two identical crew members and the four m-60 remote controlled? guns mounted on the side. I guess I'll leave the doors open, it looks cooler anyways.

The helmets, are they usually a solid olive drab color or could pilots have paintings on them? Like an eagle, or flames. Also, did the Crew Chief have anything special on his helmet? I couldn't find any pictures.
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC
Helmets were usually OD in color, although I have seen pictures of some white helmets. Most helmets did not have any designs, etc painted on them, except for safety stripping and a small nametag(with embossing tape), usually a unit thing. Helmets were government issue and had to be turned in when leaving a unit and most C.O.'s didn't approve of much else being placed on helmets, Some exceptions existed though. I have seen photo's of pilots from the "Playboy's" had the bunny painted in white on them. Crew chief's didn't have anything special on them either
In modeling I would leave them OD unless you have a picture of something different.
Will try and post a photo later.

Me in my helmet, circa late 70's
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
The typical UH-1B in Vietnam held a crew of 4. Pilot and Co-pilot up front, Crew Chief and Door Gunner in the back. Their gear consisted of an olive drab flight helmet and body armor of some sort. Early in the war (likely if you're modelling a B) this would just consist of an infantry style flak jacket. Some gunners liked to sit on one as well, and some pilots would toss one in the chin bubble for extra protection.

The gunners were each armed with a modified infantry M-60 which had the shoulder stock, bipod and flash suppressor removed. These hung by a bungie cord from the roof of the Huey and were belt fed from large ammo boxes placed on the floor. These typically had various smoke and frag grenades hung from the side of the box for easy access.

The doors would be removed from the aircraft for several reasons - to allow the gunners to work, to save weight, to provide easy escape in the event of a shoot-down and to provide ventilation in the steamy jungle heat. The crew may also have sidearms on their person or an M-16 or two stashed in the event they were shot down.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 01:16 PM UTC
Howdy zemzero,

You said:

"....
Quoted Text

......"

Nam Helmets

hth

Tread.

BTW grandadjohn, thx for providing pics of that stunningly handsome young crew member. All I can say is the first thing that comes to my mind......as Billy Crystal used to say in parody........."You looked Marvelous!!" :-)

RoK's used to call 'em 'downtown' sunglasses
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy zemzero,

You said:

"....
Quoted Text

......"

Nam Helmets

hth

Tread.

BTW grandadjohn, thx for providing pics of that stunningly handsome young crew member. All I can say is the first thing that comes to my mind......as Billy Crystal used to say in parody........."You looked Marvelous!!" :-)

RoK's used to call 'em 'downtown' sunglasses

Thanks for your kind comments. What part of Colorado are you in? Both photo's where taken out over Eastern Colorado, many, many years ago.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:41 AM UTC
Howdy grandadjohn,

My apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread and your query...my bad.
I lived in the psuedo-suburban, eastern edge hamlet of Denver called Aurora. Presently I am out in New Jersey but am readying myself to return West! I mean absolutely no offense to anyone from this part of the country but, between humidity levels that would shame most Central American jungles, traffic etiquette harking back to the days of the Gladiator, and/or unannounced episodes of claustrophobic terror brought on by...........{said in a whisper} just about everything, I really need to get back to the High Country!

Those pics were taken on the eastern plains huh? Were you flying out of Fort Carson? {no wait....that's mainly armour}, or Buckley? {no....back then that was National Guard right?}....Lowry?

Either way....bet the ride was nice....

Tread.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:01 AM UTC
What's typicaly in a Huey UH-1B? Soldiers, sailors and marines.
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2007 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy grandadjohn,

My apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread and your query...my bad.
I lived in the psuedo-suburban, eastern edge hamlet of Denver called Aurora. Presently I am out in New Jersey but am readying myself to return West! I mean absolutely no offense to anyone from this part of the country but, between humidity levels that would shame most Central American jungles, traffic etiquette harking back to the days of the Gladiator, and/or unannounced episodes of claustrophobic terror brought on by...........{said in a whisper} just about everything, I really need to get back to the High Country!

Those pics were taken on the eastern plains huh? Were you flying out of Fort Carson? {no wait....that's mainly armour}, or Buckley? {no....back then that was National Guard right?}....Lowry?

Either way....bet the ride was nice....

Tread.

Was born and raised in Denver, moved to Phoenix in 84. Back then I flew out of Buckley and it was an Air Guard base then
 _GOTOTOP