_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Thread-viewing gone bad - or is it just me?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
I don't know if this is happening to other people as well, but when I visited aeroscale today, forum threads are now being displayed so that the user information is above the post, not on the left side as it used to be. This seems to be the case for the whole kitmaker network as well.
Could this be bug? Or is it a feature?

Edit: Oh, here's screenshot of how I see threads now:
Click

jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:31 PM UTC
Yeah mate its been changed by someone and from what ive heard many people dont like it so far, but its not a problem or a bug on your computer. nothing to worry about
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Many people don't like?
Well, I'm one more to the bunch!
To be honest, I don't like it at all. I immediately thought it was a bit of code gone fubar. Showing the user info box on top of the post makes the forum look messy and unfinished, and there's too much empty space in the info bar now. The left side style is much better IMO.
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC
Yeah ok ok mate i cant do much about it but you are going to have to complain to whover did it ok. i dont mind much of a change but it does look a bit awkward but its not how the forum looks its the information in the forum that i worry about.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
Well, that's true.
I think I'll get used to it eventually, but it just looks weird with the user info bar stretched up and the post under it...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
Work in progress!

Jim
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC
It looks much better now jim
Keep on it
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC
I like the new look now. The watermarks are cool as well.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
It's much more closer to the core functionality now. I may yet do a site-specfic style that will be in the sites main color-scheme. Not sure on that so I could use feedback. I tried to pick a neutral color for all the sites. Grey seemed to bland.

Thanks!
Jim
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC
It looks much better now mate.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's much more closer to the core functionality now. I may yet do a site-specfic style that will be in the sites main color-scheme. Not sure on that so I could use feedback. I tried to pick a neutral color for all the sites. Grey seemed to bland.

Hi Jim!

Actually the neutral grey color looks more like olive green on my screen. It is probably nice for the Armorama guys but I think something more "Blueish" would fit better to the Aeroscale overall layout.

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Well, since many staff members showed up on this thread, I'll comment some more here.
It's much better now. Postings are more clearly defined, reducing the messy look quite well.
This new color's supposed to be neutral grey? Then I'm on the same boat with Jean-Luc, it looks kinda like olive green to me too (could work great for armorama). Not a bad pick, but a blue could work better for aeroscale, though.

Are those "watermarks" the text over each post saying "Username says"? Oh, please get rid of them. It looks kind of silly when the poster's username is displayed twice per message. Why not make the username appear larger in the user info bar instead?
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried to pick a neutral color for all the sites. Grey seemed to bland.

The last sentence implies that he didn't choose gray, so it makes sense that the color is olive green.

Personally, I think the watermark is superfluous, and on my monitor it is practically invisible anyways.

I also wish you would program the boards to work better with high resolution monitors, mine is 1600 x 1200 and nearly half the screen isn't being used.

Overall though, it is nice to see some work being done to improve the boards, and the new layout looks cleaner
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Yes the beige color is just a universal thing for now. It's kind of goldish on some screens. Eventually I will have time to build a theme for each site.

Michael - Thanks for reminding me about that Firefox style bug. The site should be centered on your screen at least. However I doubt I will go back down the "rubberized" site look as it just doesn't make sense to try to fill up 1600 pixels of screen width. People don't like to read a sentence that far across for one. My suggestion.... reduce your browser size window if you don't like 'white space'.

Thanks,
Jim
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I tried to pick a neutral color for all the sites. Grey seemed to bland.

The last sentence implies that he didn't choose gray, so it makes sense that the color is olive green.

Michael, thanks for the clarification. I didn't understood it that way. But I have an excuse, remember I'm french!

Jean-Luc
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 01:07 AM UTC
Other site users opinions can also be found here
 _GOTOTOP