_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Gloster Gladiator MK1
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:31 PM UTC
This is my first attempt at WW1 era aircraft. These pictures aren't the best in the world but they'll work for now. This is my first attempt at a freehand airbrush camo.

Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:02 PM UTC
FYI, the Gladiator wasn't used in WWI but in WWII (it first reached British squadrons in 1937), but I get the point this is your first biplane ever. Anyway, I like the looks of the camo (also a first attempt, very impressive) and the build looks pretty clean thus far. Do you plan on making the wires between the wings? If you like this model, you'd probably love Tamiya's Fairey Swordfish. I built it before I started building tanks and it is probably my favorite model airplane. Which company makes this kit?

Nic
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:09 PM UTC
Your right, I meant WWII. I plan on using invisible thread for the wires. I have the holes pre-drilled but you can't see them (which is good...lol)!

This kit is made by Roden. I wish I could say a lot of good things about the kit but I did have several problems with it-Instrument panel, lower left wing (hence it looks and is a little lower than the right), canopy and a few other minor problems.

I was really happy with the way the camo turned out for my first attempt. This will be good practice for that F-105 setting under my desk.
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC
I didn't notice the wing at first, but now I see what you are talking about. So, is this kit 1/72 then? It looks bigger in the pictures. Your airbrush job seems extra good now.

Nic
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't notice the wing at first, but now I see what you are talking about. So, is this kit 1/72 then? It looks bigger in the pictures. Your airbrush job seems extra good now.

Nic

This is a 1/48 kit. There's no way I could do this thing in 1/72...lol!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
Bryan, I like the plane. was Galdiator also used in the defence of Malta, or it's the Hurricane?

Great looking planes. Bi-Planes are too hard for me to do, especially with the wiring in between.

So Lord Folgore, is this easy to do the wiring for the swordfish, I always wanna to get one. Maybe good looking display it side by side with the Bismarck.

Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a 1/48 kit. There's no way I could do this thing in 1/72...lol!

Oh, I thought Roden only made 1/72 for some reason. 1/48 is way more fun anyway (if I may so opine :-)).

Nic
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So Lord Folgore, is this easy to do the wiring for the swordfish, I always wanna to get one. Maybe good looking display it side by side with the Bismarck.

Sorry, Dave. Didn't notice your post. You can buy a PE set from Tamiya that includes everything you need, so yes, it's pretty easy (I was a beginner at that kind of thing too).

And yes, Gladiators did take part in the defense of Malta. There's an excellent painting of an air battle over the island including Gloster Gladiators taking on some Italian CR.42s and SM.79s. Incidentally, I read that Swordfishes were also based for a time on Malta.

Nic
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
:-) I believe that the 3 Gladiators defending Malta; Faith, Hope and Charity were Sea Gladiators. I'm very interested in these pics Bryan, as I will be doing the Roden Sea Gladiator as Faith. When I can get the kit. :-)
This is looking good, especially the first attempt at free hand camo. For the rigging wires I would be tempted to drill completely through the top wing. You will then be able to tension them as you desire, with them anchoured at the lower wing. When the CA is cured, cut of the eccess sand, then mask and paint the wing. I haven't done this myself but seems alot easier than trying to attach wires to 2 fixed points. Based on attaching antenna wires to aircraft. Worth a thought :-)
Mal
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) I believe that the 3 Gladiators defending Malta; Faith, Hope and Charity were Sea Gladiators. I'm very interested in these pics Bryan, as I will be doing the Roden Sea Gladiator as Faith. When I can get the kit. :-)
This is looking good, especially the first attempt at free hand camo. For the rigging wires I would be tempted to drill completely through the top wing. You will then be able to tension them as you desire, with them anchoured at the lower wing. When the CA is cured, cut of the eccess sand, then mask and paint the wing. I haven't done this myself but seems alot easier than trying to attach wires to 2 fixed points. Based on attaching antenna wires to aircraft. Worth a thought :-)
Mal

Before any assembly of the model was started the first thing I did was plan out and drill the holes for the wires exactly as you described. :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
:-) Great minds think alike :-) should end up immensly strong. I'll be waiting to see how it works, as there's no way I'm going to be able to get one anytime soon :-)
Mal
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
hmmm.......... with all the great advise I have just read I may even try a build of this aircraft. I really want the torpedo version so I can sink Daves Bismark though :-)
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:18 PM UTC
If anyone is interested in complete accuracy there were actually four Sea Gladiators involved in the defense of Malta between June 11 - 28, 1940. They were Fleet Air Arm aircraft but were flown by the RAF. The serial numbers were N5519, N5520, N5524 and N5531. The names Faith, Hope and Charity were given to three of the aircraft by the Maltese people.

Hope this helps.

Regards Dave

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If anyone is interested in complete accuracy there were actually four Sea Gladiators involved in the defense of Malta between June 11 - 28, 1940. They were Fleet Air Arm aircraft but were flown by the RAF. The serial numbers were N5519, N5520, N5524 and N5531. The names Faith, Hope and Charity were given to three of the aircraft by the Maltese people.

Hope this helps.

Regards Dave

Great info Dave, thanks.
 _GOTOTOP