_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Eduard VS Hobby Boss
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
This is a project that I have wanted to do ever since Hobby Boss launched their 1/48th scale Mirage III kits at near enough the same time as Eduard announced their series of Mirage III's would become "Weekend Edition" kits.
My first thought was that the HB kits were copies or based upon, the Eduard moulds, but looking at the kits side by side I do not believe that is the case.
So which kit builds better, has better detail, let the fight commence.
I have decided to write this build in a style of a boxing match, as I thought it would be funnier and more interesting then the usual written build .

Introducing the fighters

In the blue corner, from the stable of Citrad Kuraks and Vladimir Sulc, hailing out of Obrnice, Czech Republic and weighing in at a 167 blue/grey parts we give you the Champion, Eduard's Mirage IIIC "Weekend Edition".

In the red corner, from the stable of the massive Wai Mou Limited of the Huihuang Electric Appliance Co., Ltd, fighting out of Macau, China and weighing in at 183 light grey parts, we introduce the challenger, Hobby Bosses Mirage IIICJ.

Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 05:45 PM UTC
Nice one Andy!

A great idea for a format! I'm looking forward to seeing if it's a points victory or a knockout...

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Very original idea!

Can we bet on the fight and win something?

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thanks guys, you can try and guess the winner as I will be posting the score round by round.

Round 1, the cockpits.
Seconds out round 1,
Out come the fighters, and you will immediately notice the Eduard Mirage tub is bigger then the HB Mirage.

A jab from the right of HB over the overly large foot pedals sported by the Eduard cockpit.

Eduard immediately counter attacks with a nice set of instrument decals, HB didn't see that coming.

The round fizzles out with a pretty identical pair of ejection seats.

Both fighters return to their corners after a pretty easy cockpit fit.
Judges score card 10/10.

Both sets of cockpits are identical in the build sequence. Detail wise their isn't a lot to choose between the two.
The Eduard seat and cockpit tub are slightly bigger then the HB one, Neither kit has harnesses, either as decals or moulded on.The Eduard ejection seat is slightly more chunkier then the HB one, and has a large dimple in the rear seat cushion.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
Interesting initiative

I will follow this one with interest.
 _GOTOTOP