_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Revell scale 1/144 Boeing 747-400
panzer_fan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 427 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi guys,
After a long long wait (over 5 years) I have decided to start building again. Since I got a Revell scale 1/144 747-400 (even if it's 1/144 scale, the model is fairly big), I thought to start with it so that my old skills will come back. But the kit has a lot of problems and missalignments, parts don't fit, several ejector pin marks, no transparent windows provided for the aircraft and the list can go on and on. I managed to get rid of most of the problems, though some of them are still there. One of them and ugliest the fact that the nose and the tail of the aircraft are not coming together no matter what. What to do? How do I fix this problem? Maybe to tie them with something, or use other type of glue (BTW I use Tamiya), or I don't know what else. It is frustrating in a way, since I have wanted so bad to get started again and this kit gives me headaches.
Also, I would want to know if this type of aircraft can be painted in camouflage colours or not.
With the hope that I did not ask for too much, I'll wait for your answers.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
Do the pieces not come together at all, or just won't stay together when glued? Here are a couple of quick ideas:
1) You could have a warped part. Soak it in hot water (not boiling) for a couple of seconds and see if you can bend them slightly so they fit better.
2) Use tape to hold the pieces together after they are cemented. Let it sit for several hours, maybe even an entire day so that the glue has time to complete it's process and get a good hold.

It's your model, paint it any color you want to. I have an M41 Walker Bulldog that I'm going to paint some outlandish color. The main thing is to make sure you are happy with it.
panzer_fan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Tim, the pieces are warped. I was actually thinking to dip them for a few seconds in warm/hot water, like you said. In terms of painting, you're right again. Actually, I found an article on the net today, about a military version, that'll cary a laser gun or so, and the first test is due towards the end of next year. Anyway, I think I'll try my hand on some camouflage scheme, so that when it comes to painting armour, I'll have a better idea how to do it.
Thanks again for the tips.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Sebastian,
Something else you can try; start gluing from one end, taping the halves together and letting the glue set, as Tim suggests, as you go. You might be able to see if this will work by doing a trial run, just using tape. If you are going to dip the halves in hot water I would suggest taping each half, flat to a piece of board. I've never done this, but I believe you might need near boiling water. HTH
And yeah, paint it any colour you like.
Mal
panzer_fan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I dipped the two halves in warm-hot water, and I was able to do some repair. Anyway, like I sai, the quality of this kit is terrible. I glued the wings and other parts, inlcuding the two warped pieces. It looks awful. Thanks for the tips again.
 _GOTOTOP