_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Finished a new Jasta 5 Albatros D Va
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Just finished this kit. Its an out-of-the-box build with rigging added, no photoetch. The kit is the Eduard Weekend Edition Albatros D Va with Super Scale decals for the markings and Techmod 5 color lozenge and tapes. The entire kit is hand painted and the Techmod lozenge was "glazed" or altered with tinted clear coats of Future.

Comments are welcome, Dwayne
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:56 PM UTC
Weren't you just working on a Walfisch?

If you put a line in between pictures when posting, it works better.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 01:40 PM UTC
Very interesting build Dwayne. A bit too glossy for my tastes but that is just me. Otherwise nicely done. Model On!
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 04:26 PM UTC
Carl,
One in the same. The Walfish is a kit that has lots of detailing pieces that I find hard to get through. I needed to build something out of the box without any resin or photoetch to just clear the head. I've done enough of the Albatros kits to know them pretty well so therefore I can kinda cruise through one. The one thing about them though is that you can build a hundred but never duplicate yourself as far as the markings are concerned. Thats one of the reasons I have cooled down on my Armor building, I can build three or four WW I aircraft to one Tiger out of the box and the colors are way cooler. I still dig the Armor but I'm having fun building and finishing these WW I aircraft. I have quite a few tanks sitting on the shelf half built!
Dwayne

Stephen,
I have a question I hope you or someone can help me with. How would the Future finish handle a coat of enamel or lacquer based dull coat? I've used a dull lacquer coat over enamels on my armor kits but I never tried it on an acrylic finish like future. The reason being that decals were never used to the extent on my Armor kits as on these aircraft.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne I can't help you much. I never use "Future." Strictly semi-gloss or dullcoats (lacquer or acrylic ) for me.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC
you can use acrylic dullcote over future - i use xtracrylic flat varnish, but as you can use future as a protector prior to doing washes i'm sure an enamel dullcote would not harm it in the slightest. I use white spirit (paint thinner) based washes over future all the time with no ill effects. Laquer based should be ok, but i have no experience of that.

HTH

Andy
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
Although lacquer paint over acrylic is usually not a good idea, I have sprayed some (I think it was Floquil/Model Master) over one model of mine (coated with Future) with good results. Keep in mind though, that flat coats usually change the colors some.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carl,
One in the same. The Walfish is a kit that has lots of detailing pieces that I find hard to get through. I needed to build something out of the box without any resin or photoetch to just clear the head. I've done enough of the Albatros kits to know them pretty well so therefore I can kinda cruise through one. The one thing about them though is that you can build a hundred but never duplicate yourself as far as the markings are concerned. Thats one of the reasons I have cooled down on my Armor building, I can build three or four WW I aircraft to one Tiger out of the box and the colors are way cooler. I still dig the Armor but I'm having fun building and finishing these WW I aircraft. I have quite a few tanks sitting on the shelf half built!

Yeah I know how it feels to get into a "way to many parts" rut. I have a nice Eduard La-7 Weekend kit the get me through the week.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
Andy and Lon,

Thanks for the input, I shall put it to good use. I have a few shelf bums that would look good with a nice dull coat. I'll future up the victims, I mean volunteers, and then squirt them with both mediums and see which works best.

Thanks, Dwayne
 _GOTOTOP