_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sopwith Triplane
uproar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
Greetings,

Are there any good kits of the Sopwith Triplane available, and by who? I have yet to see one, but it seems there must be something out there. Preferably larger than 1/72 scale. Thanks!

Rory
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
Eduard did do one in 1/48, but i haven't seen one around for a while now. Though i think if you're patient they will probably re-release it soon enough in their newer packaging, either weekend kit or special edition.

Anyway i hope i'm right about that as i want one too.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:05 PM UTC
Greetings all;

The 1/48 Sopwith Triplane kit by Eduard has been issued about 4 times it may well show up as a weekend edition at some point. I have an example on my website. They seem to be an item most modelers want beside their Camels and Strutters. The two earliet kits have the Eduard 1 plastic and 1 white metal rotary. The Vector resin Clerget rotary can help there. The 3rd issue (Profipack) had the resin Clerget ( a real gem!) The 4th I'll have to check on.
uproar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Greetings,

Thanks for the replies. I've searched around and found that indeed the Eduard kit is available, and have found a few on eBay. One question--has Roden ever had such a kit in its line available? I ask because I have the Fokker Triplane in 1/32 scale and thought it might be nice to have a comparable "Tripehound".

The Eduard kit looks like a beautiful model. By the way, are there any detail sets available for this kit? I suspect that hmmm, maybe Eduard might have one?

uproar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
Does anyone know of any dealer, anywhere, who might be selling the Profipack version of the Eduard Sopwith Triplane kit?
Thanks!
vladimirblazic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hello from Serbia!
I have one question about the same kit, Sopwith Triplane by Eduard.
What is the difference between Profipack and Ski version (beside skis)?
Thanks in advance
Vladimir from Novi Sad
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello from Serbia! I have one question about the same kit, Sopwith Triplane by Eduard. What is the difference between Profipack and Ski version (beside skis)?
Thanks in advance Vladimir from Novi Sad

Greetings Vladimir;

The Profipack is the version with skis. The two previous versions both had photo etch but the first was only the single gun version.

The second featured the single and the two gunned versions. (There were only a few of these 2 gun types.)

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60

The profipack featured the single example that went to Russia and still exists by the way.

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=62

uproar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC
I was under the impression that the "Profipack" version was the "Black Flight" version, more expensive, with the resin parts (including the stabilizer) and the photoetch parts. I think it might have a resin engine as well. I think the version with skis is a separate release, and is also a Profipack version--am I correct?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi Rory,

Yes, the Profipack version is the "Black Flight" version.
I have it in my stash. I have built the first release version years ago. It has not survived various moves unfortunately.

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC
Sorry, Rory and Hugh. I have to disagree with you. Kit #8020 was only labeled "Sopwith Triplane Black Flight". And though it did have some resin components it was never labeled "Profipack". The Black Box series were meant to be an upgrade from basic kits but none were labeled Profipack. The true Profipack of the Sopwith Triplane series is the "Sopwith Triplane with Skis", kit # 8073. To be fair I I am only quoting what I know was sold in the USA and Europe. If there was another box variation of #8020 I have never seen it.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
This is sad, it is 2 minutes to midnight on New years Eve and I am on Aeroscale!

You are quite right Stephen, I stand corrected. Kit 8020 in Not a Profipack.

The etched fret is quite extensive in the kit however. The resin parts are the Tail horizontal stabiliser, the guns and the amunition cases. The engine is Styrene.

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is sad, it is 2 minutes to midnight on New years Eve and I am on Aeroscale! You are quite right Stephen, I stand corrected. Kit 8020 in not a Profipack. . .Cheers,
Hugh

No worries Hugh . . .I remember a fellow building the Gavia Pfalz E.I that was confused on the induction pipes. The red spot stayed in my forehead for about an hour. (Slapped myself in the head.)

_GOTOTOP