_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
albatros D.II convert to W.4
Removed by original poster on 01/26/08 - 23:22:28 (GMT).
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 06:35 PM UTC
What scale are you planning? I only ask because Eduard actually do a W4 in 1/48, and generally it's still available. But you maybe know that already and are planning a different scale.

As for plans, maybe there is a Windsock Data file available for that one- Stephen Lawson (JackFlash) will be the person most equipped to advise you on that one i'd say. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

Andrew
Removed by original poster on 03/17/08 - 01:04:50 (GMT).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:15 PM UTC
Greetings Ms Werner,

Welcome to the Early Aviation title. It is a marked pleasure to see a lady modeler grace our little corner of the Aeroscale hangar! (Alright lads best foot forward now.)

Normally I could recommend a Windsock Datafile. But My current info says that not going to be anything that will do you anygood. I have this kit and can offer you some tracings for scratchbuilding. Also our good man MerlinV has alreay built this kit and could offer some helpful comments.

Likewise Aeroscale member Mark Hamrick is in the throws of building another type of seaplane from a vacuform kit. Click here.

This will help aim you toward some scratchbuilding. Again thank you for coming by. If we can help further please let us know.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi Terri.

I built this kit early last year. I have just trawled all my regular webstores to see if they have it in stock and none of them (I cannot speak for Hannants as their search engine didn't want to play) have it. It's a shame, as it's a very nice kit.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic

Be careful though, there are more differences than just the addition of floats. The wings and control surfaces are all much larger on the W4.

Good luck with your search and welcolm to the Aeroscale Early Aviation Forum.

Cheers,

Hugh
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:41 AM UTC
Too bad it can't be found anymore...and lucky i picked it up by chance from the local hobby store last year then. I almost didn't buy it when i had the chance.

Hopefully Eduard will get around to re-releasing it then.

Andrew
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC
I can offer a kit that I have removed the major components from the sprues but done NO construction. If interested send a Private Message!
RAGIII
Removed by original poster on 03/17/08 - 01:04:03 (GMT).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi hugh and thank you . yes i know that each aircraft has differences between then . The main wings are not the problem , its mostly the floats and struts . I order this kit five months ago and its still on back order which sucks . I'm kicking my self now for not getting it when it first came out.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Wow! You are scratch building a DH2? Now that is ambitious. You might want to have a squiz at Wotjek's scratch build of the same over on The Aerodrome Modelling forum.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/33724-dh-2-scratch-build-1-48-a.html

Cheers,

Hugh
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:04 AM UTC
yes i started with the smer kit i had on my work bench for years . i wasn't very impressed with it so the only three parts i used was the two cockpit halfs and the engine . i must say that it is taking me some time to do this one i'm just getting started with sratch building over the years . i'm improving on that . once i get it done i'll post a pic of it .
 _GOTOTOP