_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Monogram Fokker D.VII in 1:48 (photos)
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC
Finished this Monogram 1:48 D.VII a few nights ago. It was a grand experiment, really, in making my own lozenge decals at home, and wrapping an entire plane. Aside from the obvious "goof" spots, I think it's at least in the ballpark. I dunno, what do you think? Features include scratchbuilt cockpit (save for the column), seat cushion made from Sculpey, and copper wire for exterior grab handles and side step.

Special thanks to Mr. Stephen Lawson for assisting me in my lozenge layout

http://www.vairhead.net/modelshack/gallery_fokD7.html

If anyone wants to try this technique, they can download the lozenge art in PDF format for FREE at my website.

Cordially,
Mark

ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 09:17 PM UTC
I think your homemade lozenge turned out great! I've had this same exact kit sitting on my shelf for a long time waiting for me because applying all of that lozenge has just intimidated me. I even bought the lozenge. I'm not brave enough to make it, so kudos to you.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use for a base under the decals? I just sprayed some primer and cleared it, and I couldn't get the decals to not look horrible. I'm thinking I should have just used Future.....
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
Greetings Mark;

Thanks for the kind words. The old gal never looked so good. Its a decent build of an old favorite. I am a large advocate of the older kits. They got us where we are today. I heartily recommend to anyone, take one down from the shelf and revisit an old friend. Even though we could nit pick her many ribs (It was designed from Old Rhinebeck's first Fokker D.VII that used to be a C.I in her former life.)

Just for the sake of having them in one place. For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in kit form.
Click here
Click Here II
Click Here III
Click Here IV
Click Here V
Click Here VI
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity, what did you use for a base under the decals? I just sprayed some primer and cleared it, and I couldn't get the decals to not look horrible. I'm thinking I should have just used Future.....

Thanks. I used Tamiya Gloss Clear (TS-13). If by "horrible" you mean silvering, it may have helped if you buffed the primer coat with a cotton cloth before clearcoating. I find that this extra step knocks down the high spots in the flat primer and reduces the possibility of silvering when the decal is applied.
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Mark;

...I am a large advocate of the older kits....

What would you think of the old Smer Dr. I recently inherited? I really love the way they molded the insignias right into the plastic! And by looking at it, I really doubt it's a faithful 1:48 scale?!? Looks a tad on the small side to me. A most curious kit.
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC
Wow! You didnt a wonderful job on this build. Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

regards,
Jeff
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
I saw the bird on MoM page and I couldn't pass to the next image! To be honest I love D.VII personally and this realy looks good. Just one question, is it same with the old 1/48 Revell kit? If so my compliments to cheff x2
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw the bird on MoM page and I couldn't pass to the next image! To be honest I love D.VII personally and this realy looks good. Just one question, is it same with the old 1/48 Revell kit? If so my compliments to cheff x2

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes, I believe it is the same kit as the old Revell kit.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Gota love the lozenge!

Great build
 _GOTOTOP