_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Would masking fluid be any use for canopies?
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC
I have a bottle of masking fluid I use for my acrylic paintings and wondered if it could be used when modelling, particularly on canopies when painting the frames?
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:09 PM UTC
Yes, you can use it for that. I used to use it for that purpose, but didn't have much luck with it...always pulled up paint from the framing . I went back to using just tape to mask. Now, sometimes, I will frame out a window pane, and fill in the middle with liquid mask. So, you can use it for the purpose.

Mike

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC
You can use it alright but when you want straight lines yuo will have to use a thin stripe of tape for making the borders, then you can fill the rest of the "glass surface" with masking fluid.

The down side: it can be a real pain to remove

and as you need to use maskign tape anyway, you may as well use it for the whole glass surface.

All together, i do not like maskign fluid that much
Removed by original poster on 02/05/08 - 13:12:47 (GMT).
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
Okay, I'll see what happens and let you know ...............
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Just to give my two cents, I use liquid masking tape using the frame method and haven't had much trouble at all. What you can do to prevent the paint from being pulled off the frame is to lightly score the edge of the mask with a knife, that will help keep the paint on the frame from being pulled off along with the mask.
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC
For canopies. I generally use masking tape but then use liquid mask to cover the joins on the tape to stop paint from running along and under the seams. I have used masking liquid with a tape border before but I didn't find it saved me much time.

I used blu-tak and liquid mask to do a camouflage scheme on the airframe once and might try that again.

My 0.02
Wiz
 _GOTOTOP