_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Cry for help!!
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hi All,

I need some help with a couple of questions. I was given Revell's 1/28th Fokker Dr.I for Chrstmas and would like to build it in the colours of Ltn. August Raben as this seems a very attactive scheme. I would like to enter it in the Aces High capaign, but I can't find any photos of his plane. I am told he flew a couple of Dr.I types. I want to do the Red and white plane with the white raven on the fuselage. I have never done a WW1 subject before, so this will be a real challenge for me. Also, was he classed as an ace at all because I read he only had 4 kills.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:06 PM UTC
First start by clicking here.

Going to page two you will see my 1/48 build. The original serial was actually 479/17 Not 471/17

24 & 25) w/n 2105, Fok. Dr.I 479/17 was flown during March - June 1918 by Ltn. Raben as commander of Jasta 15. Post war this machine wound up in French hands and most people think it was already in the hands of another Jasta. In truth this is unknown. This is a DML kit with decals from the Super Scale sheets.

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Blimey that was quick! That is definitly the one I want to do. Campaign rules state an original photo of plane and pilot who must have been an ace. Question is was he, and any refs that show the man and machine?

Cheers

Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC
Greetings Airgunner;

He was not classified by the Germans as an ace. There are several images of the aircraft in the public domain and none with Raben standing by it. Though I do have one of him by his Albatros D.III in Jasta 36. This won't help you much. As he commanded Jasta 15 (which later exchanged identities with Jasta 18) We have beau coup images of him with the members of that unit. Again this may not help you.

Of the aces that flew the Dr.I I suggest you look at ;

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hi again Stephen,

Many thanks for that, that's an excellent link. I've bookmarked it for further perusal.

Actually you did help a great deal, it put to bed any ideas of entering it in the Aces High campaign, but I am going to build it anyway as it is so attractive. Must be the simplicity of that appeals. If I can get a 1/4 as good as yours I will be truly delighted.

Thanks again

Steve
 _GOTOTOP