_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help w/ Roden 1/72 Fok. D.VII (Alb)
Dazhzulu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,
I wondered if anybody could help me with a few problems i'm having in regard to the roden 1/72 fokker d.VII (alb) early kit.I don't normally do airplanes ,being more an armour modeller, but have agreed to build this for my brother ,a first world war nut.Thankfully this kit doesnat appear to need much rigging or I would be panicking but anyway,heres the questions..

1)The decals for the stripes on the wings are supplied as red in the kit yet all the schemes shown on the box illustrations,and i guess for this in the instructions are blue.Does anybody know which should be correct here?

2)I would like to get some decnet reference for this plane and have been checking out the windsock books and the osprey on this plane on there websites but i am unsure as to which would be the best in regards to this particular model.Anybody got any any ideas?

3)Does anybody know any alternative decal sets for this model.I have found some online for the Fokker d.VII but am not sure if they would be okay for the early model.

Sorry if these are straight forward questions but like i say im not an air modeller normally and would like to give my brother something that is reasonably accurate.

Thanks very much for your time.
Darren.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everyone,
I wondered if anybody could help me with a few problems i'm having in regard to the roden 1/72 fokker d.VII (alb) early kit.I don't normally do airplanes ,being more an armour modeller, but have agreed to build this for my brother ,a first world war nut. Thankfully this kit does not appear to need much rigging or I would be panicking but anyway, here are the questions..

1)The decals for the stripes on the wings are supplied as red in the kit yet all the schemes shown on the box illustrations,and i guess for this in the instructions are blue. Does anybody know which should be correct here?

Greetings Darren,

There are several intrepretations of this machine below is what I think is accurate.

Quoted Text

2)I would like to get some decent reference for this plane and have been checking out the windsock books and the osprey on this plane on there websites but i am unsure as to which would be the best in regards to this particular model.Anybody got any any ideas?

As I mentioned there are several schools of thought but red with white stripes is the logical and I think the best choice for Oblt. E. Udet's early Schwerin (not Alb) built Fokker D.VII. Albatros based their early production models on plans and an actual aircraft sent from the parent Fokker factory at Schwerin. The were similar, note the vertical tail stabilizer is half red and half white. No Alb logo on rudder. This early model is usually called "du doch nicht!!" due to the elevator lettering. It means "certainly not you!!" This machine lasted less that three weeks at the front. Udet flew several red fuselaged or partially red painted Fokker D.VII types. There were three licensed manufacturers. Schwerin (parent Co.), OAW and Alb.

Quoted Text

Does anybody know any alternative decal sets for this model.I have found some online for the Fokker D.VII but am not sure if they would be okay for the early model.

It depends on what you are looking for. Yes there are other decal sets. Just ask concerning which ones you want to know about.

Quoted Text

Sorry if these are straight forward questions but like i say im not an air modeller normally and would like to give my brother something that is reasonably accurate.

Thanks very much for your time.
Darren.

Dazhzulu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your reply.First off,really nice model.
I'm still a bit confused though regarding this kit that i have.The version I have is the Alb early,I apologise if this may have effected your answer.The Plane on the box top is Carl Degelow's machine from Jasta 40.The stripes i refer to are thin ones which appear to be position over the wing ribs over a lozenge pattern on both upper and lower wings.Its these stripes that are red on the decal and blue on the box art,instructionThere are other options listed in the instructions using th same stripe decal but I have no idea if these should be blue too.To confuse me even more I have found a build review of teh 1/48th version of this kit in the same scheme whihc does use the red thin stripes!
If i can confirm that the stripes were red i would go with the in the box shcemes.If not i would like to try and find another decal set that would offer an alternartive,any alternative to the box ones.Like i say i have found sets of decals and books on line but im not sure if they are specific to an alb early.Or does it matter?Was there that much difference between the various Fokker variants that appear to exist?I like the red sheme on your model,if i could do that on this kit and there were decals for it I would go for that or something similer.
Again i do apologise if these questions are a bit 'soft' but the whole varaint thing is confusing me and i dont want to start spending money on reference and decals that might not be apprpriate,so any more help is really,really appreciated.
Thanks
Darren.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your reply.First off,really nice model.
I'm still a bit confused though regarding this kit that i have.The version I have is the Alb early,I apologise if this may have effected your answer.The Plane on the box top is Carl Degelow's machine from Jasta 40.The stripes i refer to are thin ones which appear to be position over the wing ribs over a lozenge pattern on both upper and lower wings.Its these stripes that are red on the decal and blue on the box art,instructionThere are other options listed in the instructions using th same stripe decal but I have no idea if these should be blue too.To confuse me even more I have found a build review of teh 1/48th version of this kit in the same scheme whihc does use the red thin stripes!

If i can confirm that the stripes were red i would go with the in the box shcemes.If not i would like to try and find another decal set that would offer an alternartive,any alternative to the box ones.Like i say i have found sets of decals and books on line but im not sure if they are specific to an alb early.Or does it matter?Was there that much difference between the various Fokker variants that appear to exist?I like the red sheme on your model,if i could do that on this kit and there were decals for it I would go for that or something similer.
Again i do apologise if these questions are a bit 'soft' but the whole varaint thing is confusing me and i dont want to start spending money on reference and decals that might not be apprpriate,so any more help is really,really appreciated.
Thanks Darren/

Ok Instead of Roden kit 013 you have 033.

You are concerned about "rib tapes". There are several threads here concerning this subject. The kit manufacturer has used simplified terms and I will try to help. red =salmon pink was seen on Albatros built machines, blue = lt. blue was seen on OAW machines. These were of course license builders of the Fokker D.VII type.

see; Lozenge Camouflage 101

Just for the sake of having them in one place. For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in 1:48 kit form.
Click here I Eduard Royal Feature
Click here II Eduard OAW Feature
Click here III Eduard Schwerin Dual Combo review
Click here IV Roden Schwerin kit #415 Feature
Click here V Eduard Schwerin Weekend kit blog
Click here VI Eduard 2nd OAW issue Review
Click here VII Eduard MAG Dual Combo Review
Click here VIII Eduard Johannistahl Review
Click here IX DML / Dragon Kit Review
Click here X Hasegawa Kit Review
Click here XI Jager Kit Review
Click here XII Roden Early Schwerin kit Review
Click here XIII Eduard OAW 1st Issue Review
Click here XIV Eduard mid OAW Limited Edition

I think that is all available Reviews & Features at this time. More later no doubt!
 _GOTOTOP