_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Brush painting
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hello again everyone. I have some questions about brush painting. I can't afford an airbrush, so I have to use brushes. I did an SU-34 a while back (after a break of no models for at least ten years. Used to do them when I was a kid, I'm 24 now), and painted all the pieces before putting it together. I got a lot of brush marks and all in all it wasn't that good,not that I expected it to be though.

What's the best type of brush to use? I am going to get a couple and try them out but a heads up would be useful if anyone has one. I have revell enamels too. Any particular type paint better for brushing?

Also I read somewhere here I think that if you use primer (halfords car primer i have), this reduces the chance of brush marks. is this true?

I have also some ideas to try using cotton buds and q tips for dry brushing and weathering.....

I'm building a 1/32 revell spitfire mk 24 at the moment, if i can get hold of a digital camera i will post some photos

Thanks for advice, Rich
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Rich,
you could try aerosols. But they tend to work out quite expensive and sometimes offer little in the way of control.

I'm not sure about using car primer, but I'm sure some more experienced advise will arrive shortly.

I've often brush painted with okay results with Humbrol tinlets, as long as they are thouroughly mixed and occasionally thinned a little.
I've even sanded them down with extremly fine and old wet and dry once dry, make sure the paper is extremely wet and add a touch of washing-up liquid in the water. Its very delicate work but can make a difference, but exteme care is needed to avoid taking out detail.
If it works out you end up with a very smooth flat coloured surface with no brush marks.
I didn't use this method by choice, but at the time circumstances dictated it.

It all looked okay in the end after the future/kleer coats and the flat matt varnish to finish.
Here I would definitely go for the aerosol type if no airbrush.

As far as brushes are concerned, the better quality you can afford the better. I find Dalon synthetics do a good job and are no were near the price of sable equivalents even though sables are probably the best.

Cheers and good luck.
Peter
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Ah thanks Peter. Yeah people do seem to recommend aerosols, but I don;t really have anywhere to do it that isn't inside, and my girlfriend probably wouldn't appreciate me spraying everywhere!

Yeah I have been checking out sable brushes online and they looked pretty good, i doon't mind spending a couple of quid or so on each brush. After that I guess its just a case of doing it lots and getting practice.

So your technique of fine wet and dry was to sand out brush marks? Interesting... I have a mig 25 and mig 27 i built and haven't painted yet that I can try that on.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Rich
if you do have a go at sanding out paint, do use as little pressure as possible, almost the weight of the paper only and let the water/fairey liquid do the work and lots and lots of time.

The more gentle the better.

Let me know if it works I'll be in the nearest pub to celebrate and if it dosen't...I'll be hiding in the nearest pub.

Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP