Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
When I Flew with. . .official thread
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 03:59 PM UTC
Gazooks and Hot Marimba! we are a "Go!" Now for a set of wings. . .

Members of the Squadron Rogue's gallery on this date.

Bigrip74
CaptainA
Clanky44
grayghost666
JackFlash
jaypee
LongKnife
Rittersbach
SGTJKJ
spongya
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Ok since we are a go now I will start my a/c and my own personal touch (nose art) to make it mine, but the hard part will be in coming up with a humble biography that is not to sappy.

Bob
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 06:14 AM UTC
The Campaign now has it's own Gallery for completed Models When I flew with... Gallery
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:39 PM UTC
I am going to ask our good moderator to change our title instead of "intro" to "official thread" and sticky us into action. No rest for the wicked. Crack those references and put up the best show possible. Use this thread to post build progress and save all the bio info for your final posts. Time to shine good folk. Post a couple of shots in the other topics to show them what we are up to as you progress.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Wait wait!! I'm commin' too!!! Ok I enlisted. Dunno what to build yet but will start soon. I just give abrak to my seriously intens modeling routine(hah!) for the graduation termwork for a while, then I'll catch you.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wait wait!! I'm commin' too!!! Ok I enlisted. Dunno what to build yet but will start soon. I just give abrak to my seriously intens modeling routine(hah!) for the graduation termwork for a while, then I'll catch you.

We have been waiting for you Jolly Roger, welcome aboard.

Bob
Removed by original poster on 05/10/08 - 08:12:54 (GMT).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
I have decided to do two builds for this Campaign. One Allied and one Central Powers.

I am looking at ;
1. SE 5a, Viper 230hp powered (Twin Lewis one Vickers or just twin Vickers) 32 Sqn RAF
2. Sop. 2F.I Bentley 170hp Powered Twin Vickers and or twin Lewis (with a leaning towards an RAF post April 1918 version.) 209 Sqn RAF
3. Fokker Dr.I , 145 hp - 160hp rotary Jasta 36.
4. Fokker D.VII 220hp Mercedes D.IIIavü Jasta 7.

I am pushing the engine horsepower up from "known installs" to "experimental" for a "what if" for frontline uses. I may change my mind and go back to factory standard. Just exploring the possibilities.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:00 PM UTC
Been slacking. But I've got the basic aluminium dope on. and some nice red for the tailplane and cowling. Can't decide on the personal insignia. A shamrock or a Guinness? What do you think?

Here is a rubbish snap from my phone camera of the work so far. Posted on the build thread too.
strutter
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC

Wings Courtesy of that magnificent man and his flying machine - Jean -Luc!
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC
I might jump in too if I can find the time.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
I have made a good start on Joltin' Josie. I just got the first coat of NMF on. I am now working on the decals. The old 1/32 Hasegawa P-51 goes together pretty good. I will shoot some pictures after I get the second coat on.

This is a great campaign. I love the Wings.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
I am gearing up for this one. Here is my service history.

I started serving in the infantry with the Marines. Later I applied for a pilot career and was accepted. After finished pilot training I started my active career with VMA-211 in March 1964. Here I flew the A-4E Skyhawk in El Toro, California until deployed to Chu Lia in Vietnam in May 1965. Here I flew many ground support missions – both north and south of the DMZ. I flew 188 combat missions dropping a total of 400.000 lbs of ordnance in three separate tours in the period 1965 to 1970. Twice I returned with combat damage to my bird. I was awarded the distinguished flying cross and the Vietnam Service Medal.

I will be building the old Fujimi A4 E Skyhawk in 1/48 scale. The ordenance in the kit is extremely basic and with huge sink marks, so I will be using Hasegawas ordnance set for underwing stores.
I have already started with the basic cockpit and the wings.

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC
hello all,
my kit should be here on June 3rd.i am doing Eduard's Sopwith F.1 Camel Profipack in 1/48th scale.i am also getting Eduard's RFC Personnel WW1 to go with it.
i will post more next month,when i get the kits.
cheers,
Bruce
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 05:39 PM UTC
The build is on greyghost! I have narrowd my subjects down and will start soon.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The build is on greyghost! I have narrowd my subjects down and will start soon.

hello Stephen,
wait till you see the history of my flyer.and i thought i wrote great fiction on my job resumes.
see you in June.
cheers,
Bruce
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 08:44 PM UTC
A little update on my build. The kit goes together well, but really shows its age in some areas like the wheel wells and the cockpit. Not to big a problem for me, as it is not very visible due to the small cockpit and because I will not place this one on a mirror

I am trying to figure out what load it should have. The zuni rocket pods in the kit are fine, but the bombs are unusable. I am planning to replace them with some cluster bombs or napalm.

More to follow.....

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 09:06 PM UTC
Here's a quick update. Not much happening but did decide on my insignia. A green harp on one side of the fuselage and a red star on the other. I try various masks to draw a shamrock but nothing really worked with a brush. An airbrush may make short work of this. The harp is just painted on freehand.

Painted and awaiting weatheringPainted and awaiting weathering
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 09:58 PM UTC
Allready on? Then I better get going on my Reggiane. It will be something in the line of this.

I will have to make a few decisions, since castings are rough, but an aftermarket engine and some scratch in the cockpit might be needed.

My alter ego is conimg along nicely though. Antonio LaSpada, Italian mechanic, ended up in Sweden with the aircraft and got stuck here. More to come...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Very nice choice, Tony. I am looking forward to see your build.

I have made some more progress on my A-4 Skyhawk. Construction is basically finished. The landing gear is still a bit basic, but I can live with that. The wheels are actually made so one can melt the "rod" the wheels are on and allow the wheels to turn after building the aircraft. Needless to say the wheels will be glued in place and the rods cut to the right length.
I have decided to have a load of zuni rocket pods and some massive napalm tanks. Air support will soon be ready for those Marines on the ground

As a personal marking I am planning to name the aircraft after my girlfriend, Dorthe. I want to call it "Dazzling Dorthe" or "Darling Dorthe". Suggestions on the name are very welcome
I have talked with Arseny (Roxter) which will let go of some of his pin up decals of blond girls. Then the pin up will be combined with the text on the side of the fuselage.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
I'm really looking forward to seen all these personal insignia now. Mine is so understated I feel like I've come to the fancy dress ball in a tracksuit.

Made some progress last night link here
Top wings and struts on. Looking like it could fly now.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
I've opened up the box containing my RE 2000 now, and after a Hasegawa Bf 109 this is slightly different. Behold the Artiplast 1:50 Reggiane Falco!

By some strange reason I have two of these. I guess building the first will help me get the second straight. Parts are flashy, twisted and very basic, but I hope to learn a lot from this one.

I will especially hone my skills in handling of various files and sanding sticks. Will probably use a bucket of putty too.

And now - for the rivet counter - Count these!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Here is my progress.

I just finished two other campaign builds, and a week long vacation. I am back on track to be working on this now.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
Carl, looks very nice. Looking forward to see what markings you will use.

Tony, very interesting kit - and scale. Must be older than most of us. It will be interesting to see what you can get from this one. Difficult to fill and sand and then at the same time conserve all those rivets.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:03 PM UTC
Carl: Nice pit. Is the chair a kit part or aftermarket?

Jesper: I was made in -65 and I've got the same feeling as you. It HAS to be older than me. I haven't found a manufacturing date on the box, but it says it's made in Venice. Not quite the same quality as venetian wine glasses though. We'll see how it ends, but I feel that I have to reduce the rivets a bit. They are slightly over diameter 0,5 mm, which makes them 25 mm in real life (1" for you over there) and that would cause serious drag in the air