_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Flattening tyres
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
Has anyone got any good tips on how to do this? I want to make sure both are flattened enough and equally to give the illusion of the heavy weight resting on them.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone got any good tips on how to do this? I want to make sure both are flattened enough and equally to give the illusion of the heavy weight resting on them.

Three ways that I know of:

1. Take a sanding stick and slightly flatten one side.
2. Take a heat source (like an iron) and gently flatten one side by pushing the tire against the hot surface of the iron. This will supposedly give you a little bulge on the sides. I recommending using something like wax paper between the tire and the iron. I've never used this method before so maybe somebody else can chime in.
3. Buy some aftermarket resin tires that come with a flat spot and a bulge.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:59 AM UTC
by and large, the budge most resin replacement wheels give is far too great and is more indicative of a flat tire than bludging under weight.

Unless it is an aircraft that intentionally operates with low pressure tires, you are best off just sanding the tires flat in one spot. just be careful to take all angles the landing are at into consideration.

NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:29 AM UTC
I've used this technique on my Tamiya M1025 and it works well for a plastic or resin rim/wheel with a rubber or vinyl hollow tire.

If you CA glue a small block of plastic or resin to the rim with it's outside radius a little smaller than the inside radius of the tire, pull the rubber or vinyl tire on after putting a substantial dab of CA glue on the outer edge of the rim block you just put on (this part's a bit tricky because you've got a dab of CA glue on the block while trying to pull the tire on....). Once you've got the tire on, hold the tire against the block you've glued to the rim until the CA glue sets, and there you have it. The effect looks like this when completed....

A slight bulge is created and is quite realistic, because the rubber tire is actually bulged out a bit. As long as you don't overdo the effect, then it will look like it supposed to and not a flat tire.

Bob
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey, thanks for these tips, guys. I reckon I'm safest with sanding them actually. At least I'm in control of how far I go that way..........lol
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
Nice humvee!
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thanks Russell, appreciate it. There's more pics in my kitmaker photo gallery.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP