_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Battle Axe Fokker E.V
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
Greetings . I was able to get this kit at the hobby shop with luck , It was order and the gentlemen changed his mind. My first time ever on viewing the moldings from this company . The resin parts are done very well same with the PE parts . The moldings to seem alright, but I have not built any of their kits . . . are there any reviews on the construction of this kit so I know the pros's and con's ? Whats working with the plastic like ? I understand that this kit is limited run or what I have heard and if so how many do they produce of each kit ? If I posted this in the wrong place you can me , but only on my left side . The right side is my good side . Cheers
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

This is exactly the right place for your enquiry!

I've heard (I'v never built or ven seen one), that Battle Axe kits are really hard work so far as the plastic goes.
If you can't find anything in the archives here, head on over to http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ and do a search in the Modelling section.
Novices sometimes have trouble navigating around the Aerodrome; so click first on "Forums" and then scroll down to "Models"...
All the usual suspects are there playing, so you won't feel like a newbie.

No one here would shoot you. We've all seen "Kill Bill" too many times.

Cheers,

Hugh
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thank-you Hugh for not shooting me ! and thank you for the info , It's always nice to hear from you from down under . Cheers mate !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 05:35 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun but the images are gone.
Click Here.
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
DearTeri
There was a reason the Customer who ordered it walked away from it. Bottom Line IS aside form hoping you got a slashed bargin price for it. It requires a tremdous to fair amount of flat out scratch building to fit existing pieces.

TO be fair after putting months in on it I NEVER got past fabricating new struts and attachment ponits to the wing and never got the gear and wing attached to the fusleage.

In my personal opinon this has always been (asisde from their Resin Rotories)

The entire series has been a cruel and destructive Hoax played on this Modeling Era which would have died a long time ago had it not been for Squadron Mail Orders Promotion of them. They came to market before Roden had geared up its entry into the scale and at the time appeared to be an exicting (EXPENSIVE) Option.

While everything appears simple, unassuming and easy construction. I almost guarunttee you once you cut it from the sprue almost NOTHING will be simple straight forward or easy. It will if you persevere almost be SURE to improve your modeling skills to MAKE this Kit WORK.

While I have seen actual completed examples of this series. Almost ALL have been completed by either competion or expert builders. Both of which I am not.

I'll go thru a few simple things here i found with the kit but certainly not all.
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC
MOst if not ALL of the Interior Parts to me seemed too deformed by the crude modling to be of any Scale or Practicel use when it came time ot assembling them. More so I used them as guides to build new ones.

I heavily detailed it out from either scratch or a Eduard Detail Fret for the Fok DRI.

mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC
The Wing had a Large Divit molded into the leading edge, perhaps for a Radar Night fighter Version (NOT) ?. It required filling and sanding as well as other large Revell type GAP typre Fit problems. Like the Elveator to fuselage fit.

mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
Like almost all these new kits in this scale they ALL could benefit from a NEW LOZ Decal. Tech Mod has New Loz and SPADA will have some soon too.

The Kit LOZ Again iS oin my opinon unuseable unless you are building a toy perhaps ?

I replaced mine with some rare AMG 4 Color.

mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:12 AM UTC
I Personaly ENDED UP CO-Opting many of the details and parts for this kit and applied them to an AVIS EV Kit Which I can say with confidence and assurance IS a KIT.

My PErsonal Recommendation IF you are not intending to start a labor intevsive Scratch Project IS to Keep and even perhaps sell your Kit on Ebay and BUY an AVIS EV which for ALL instensive purposes IS a Roden - Part EV and solves many if not all the issues with this one. Actually Allowing or enabling you to have a "Quick" BUild Real EV !!! Without the Stress. I have some AVIS EV's for sale too. You can also find them at Ebay. WIth shipping our prices are the same. This IS not a plug for me. Only a sincere description of my issues with this build and the absolute opposite Great Experience I had putting togehter the AVIS. www.misterkitusa.com
Yours Mike

AVIS EV:
The AVIS Kit aside from good molding acurate parts, instructions, etc. went together in days what took weeks upon weeks on the BA Kit. I have to say teh AVIS is more a traditonal OOB Build more of what we ALL are used to form a Kit. Not the Kit of Reserch/Scratch build you have on your hands there with the BA.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks for share your build . It will be used as a ref's point when I tackle my kit . I don't mind the srcatchbuilding at all , always looking to improving my skills .
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 02:34 AM UTC
HEY !! Sounds Great. Good Luck with That,

Let us all Know how it Turns out.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC
I will be glad to do that , either this month or next month I will be getting my first digital camrea . So I will be able to post pictures of my work .
 _GOTOTOP