_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
vac kits ?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
I have just received two vac kits . One from Koster of the Siemans-Schuckert D.IV and Sierra models of the Aviatik-Berg D.1
I have never done a vac kit before is there any info on these kits from other modellers build of these ? can some one give me some pointers . Thanks
Cheers
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

Merlin has a feature: Vacuform Basics
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:41 PM UTC
1. Good plan drawings are important. Try the Datafiles first.

2. You have already done the injected Eduard kit for the SSW D.III.
a. Think about using a resin replacement for the Koster vacuform motor.
b. Reinforce all load bearing landing gear struts with brass rod.
c. Don't use white metal wire or rods with resin pieces you may add for detail.
d. Use only brass wire / rod.
e. Reinforce the fuselage joints and if possible use clean wood popsicle sticks for the wood spars in the wings. You may have to scrape these sticks down a bit. But it will be worth it for the added strength.

Think longevity.

Also Thanks Fred for post ing the link to Rowan's Feature Very good information there.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Terri
Build vac is not easy, and it’s not that hard either. Take it easy and dryfit everything before you use the glue. You have to make several bulkheads for the fuselage and stiffening for the wings. The good part with build vacs is that you will increase you building skill with lots off percent. Take good time on the build and good luck.

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Hey thanks guys ! All have been very helpful . I figure that building vac kits will also help on my srcatchbuilding skills as well . I really wish I had a camrea to take pic's of my work to show you guys .

Stephen , the Koster kit of the ss D.IV is the issue with resin wings (main) , cockpit and white metal parts , but still the engine does need to still be replaced . Really not a fan on white metal parts . Still a very wonderful kit .
Cheers
goldenarrow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hi Terri!

Of course is building a Vacu much more work the fitting a snuggly Eduard or Roden kit. But it is a lot of fun as I think and the result mostly very satisfying. Dont be afraid of. Building Vacus is the basic of plastic modelling and as you mentioned close to scratch building.
I did a lot of them and some of my favourite models are vacus.
I have no meaning about Koster vacus but I did a lot of the Sierra Scale Vacus, which are highly recomended.
If you want to make the Aviatik Berg D.I I can provide you with all informations needed, photos, drawings etc.
To give you an idea abaout the Berg I have attached this pic of one of my older models.

Regards Peter

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hi Peter , Thank-you very much , I would really like some info on the Berg , that would be so helpful .
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 05:53 PM UTC
Aother set of rules and tips for vacform modellers, this one is John Adams' of Aeroclub take on the subject: http://aeroclub-models.co.uk/files/VacForm.pdf

Magnus
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 06:37 PM UTC
thanks Magnus , I printed it off so I can have it on hand .
Cheers
whoopsydoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 04:07 PM UTC
I've built one or two vacforms in the last 18 months- largely to see what all the fuss was about. And I became hooked. I've now got a stash of them - but look at my Formaplane FE2 and Airmodel FE8 with some trepidation. Oh those basketwork booms!! One day, perhaps, I'll be brave enough!! Whatever the personal choice of vacform kits, I've learned several things - lay in a stock of contrail/strutz material, and invest in some aeroclub engines, seats/control columns, wheels, guns and gun rings because the vaformed ones are basic or next to useless. Have fun with it whatever you do.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Whoopsydoo , I haave my parts already cut out of the Albatros D.III from TomsModelWorks . Happy to report that all parts made it out unscaved ! Fingers as well !
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC
Terri,another good tip for finishing joints (on vac kits especially) is to fill,sand,then PRIME the area (I use whatever paint I have lots of and never use,you could also use MR SURFACER)...then sand again......this will show the low spots well.....use painters tape to cover areas you dont want the sandpaper abrading.
 _GOTOTOP