Westland Lysander III
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hi all,

This old Testers boxed 48 scale bird I got as a second hand kit about a year ago, with the intention of building a 3 Sqn RAAF in North Africa, as 3 of these birds had a short operational life, with 3 Sqn when they first arrived in the desert. When I opened the box, the tooling stamp read HAWK Models Inc 1963. building this as an OOB subject, the only decal I could save from the sheet was the map.
Using a mix of Aussie Decals, an old AeroMaster sheet {Sharkmouths of the Desert} and some spare bits from the decal spares box. The cammo scheme is early RAF using the older AeroMaster 'Warbird' range of enamels of Dark Earth/Dark Green over Sky.

Because of the high wing position on this bird I elected to paint the subject as 2 seperate builds, by masking the canopy frame on the fuselage, them covering the open section with tape, then masking the canopy roof section attached to the main wing and covering the inside area with tape.

I then procceeded to apply the Sky to the lower wing area and the lower fuselage section, when dry the lower area of the main wing was masked over, the fuselage section was masked off, the main wing was left to rest on the framework and wing struts, so the Dark Earth/Dark Green cammo could be applied. The cam patern is all freehand.

The weathering is all pastel.

The engine detail of the kit and also note the loose fitting of the main wing, for ease of painting.

As I could not find any relivant information as too the aircraft code or even it's serial number, the Sqn code is true, the aircraft code is fiction and there is no serial number.
 _GOTOTOP