_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
It's all your fault.....
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC
Introduction and Questions:

I'm a newbie here. Have lurked for a while and got "hooked". Have been into WWII aircraft, Armour, and Helicopters. WWI has not been my "thing", but the technical aspects of the aircraft lured me in. The "simpicity" and yet complex nature of the subjects intrigued me, as well as the depth to which you guys go with the subjects.

I'm now "hooked" on Roden 1/32 types. Am receiving my 1/32 Roden SE5 today along with the Part frets. I already have the Mastercasters Resin cockpit and wheels (Which are OUTSTANDING by the way). My "intent" is to display the innards of the fuselage as much as I can. I want to unlace the fuselage lacings and pull off some of the cowling for display.

I have already done a lot of research on the SE5 but there are a few loose ends. (I'm sure I'll come up with more later..........I have enjoyed reading about each of your builds and have been following the current ones).

My questions:

1. It "appears" that the fabric for the fuselage access panel is attached to the lower longeron, the laced on 3 sides. The panel just pulls down for access (thus all the wrinkles when re-laced). With the fabric all doped up, I "assume" it's stiff as a board when pulled down. I "assume" that it beats the heck out of the dope and paint. Have you any photos of that access panel pulled down? I have looked at a few current SE5 1:1 builds and found no photos of this area.

2. Does anyone have a rigging diagram for the SE5?

3. I have seen from the Forum that .004 monofilament is used for 1/48 scale, what about 1/32? Would .004 be too thin?

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Steve and thank-you for joining the darkside of early flight . The best person to help you with what you are looking for is Jackflash ( Stephen) He's our very own Guru ! Is this your first Biplane ?
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hello Terri,

Yes, first biplane. Very seriously considered the Model Airways 1/16th Jenny, but the cost AND the 30 inch wingspan killed that idea. As much as I would have loved to build it, I just couldn't find a place to PUT it.

Regards
Steve
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard!

Side panels, dunno.

Rigging diagrams, try here; http://www.arizonamodels.com/reference/Thumbs/Aircraft/Great_Britain/Royal_Aircraft_Factory/Se5_Se5a/SE5_SE5A.html

I would use 0.004" Monofilament for 1/32. That'll be just fine.

Don't be afraid to pick the hell out of our brains. There will be an expert on almost any subject (WWI Modelling wise) here!

Cheers,

Hugh
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hello Hugh,

Glad to be aboard.

The panel I'm talking about is here:

It looks to me like that panel is just pulled down and gets all "scrunched" up while work is being done inside. I am guessing that the doped panel gets a little flexible, thus the wrinkles. I have just not seen a panel opened.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Introduction and Questions:
My questions:

1. It "appears" that the fabric for the fuselage access panel is attached to the lower longeron, the laced on 3 sides. The panel just pulls down for access (thus all the wrinkles when re-laced). With the fabric all doped up, I "assume" it's stiff as a board when pulled down. I "assume" that it beats the heck out of the dope and paint. Have you any photos of that access panel pulled down? I have looked at a few current SE5 1:1 builds and found no photos of this area.

For the innards of the SE 5a click on > Memorial Flight

Quoted Text

2. Does anyone have a rigging diagram for the SE5?

Same place has some great images just scroll down.

Quoted Text

3. I have seen from the Forum that .004 monofilament is used for 1/48 scale, what about 1/32? Would .004 be too thin?

For my 1/32 Pfalz D.III I used something a bit different and larger than .004. Check out your local fishing tackle shop.

click here for that build

For thr RAF flying wires on my build I have been thinking about using extruded brass but I may have to go with something else.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
Stephen, Did I send you those Stainless wire samples?

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
Greetings Hugh,

No I picked them up one day when I was scrounging around for some of that Kevlar thread at a local sporting goods store.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Coulda sworn I sent you some...
Various diameters...

Oh well... I know I meant to.

Cheers,

Hugh
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
Greetings Hugh..
I had the opprotunity to work on restoring an old Oronca observer aircraft and the doped panels are not exactly flexible.They are pretty stiff.....having them unlaced and "rolled " out of the way could account for the "scrunchyness"I think...Just my 2 pence worth
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hello Jim,

I was the one talking about "scrunchy" panels..... I appreciate your observations. I have learned more about "Linen" and "Doping" that I had wanted to. The photos that I posted were "showing me" just what you mentioned. Since the panel could only be folded down as it was glued to the lower longeron, the mech has to push it out of the way. Looks to me like it gets real flexible after a few openings. Should I be worried about the lower Edge becoming brittle and "breaking"?

I've flown fabric covered airframes before but they were modern with ceconite. I dont think it was glued to the frame, could be wrong there.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to slice and dice into that small opening.

Regards
Steve
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:40 PM UTC
I think it depended on the airframe as to how it was attached. I admit Im just guessing, but what I have noticed is that alot of times "service "panels,such as those adjacent to the cockpit were laced,but Iv only really noticed this on British planes such as DH2, Bristol,RE8,etcetera
 _GOTOTOP