_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Clear Instrument Panel Question
michaelbay
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 05:33 PM UTC
I'm in the process of building Accurate Models 1/48th scale SBD Dauntless. A fine model, but I'm a bit confused on one bit.

The instrument panel is a large piece of clear plastic. The instructions say it should be painted flat black, leaving the dials clear. A decal is supposed to be applied to the rear, the colored bits to be seen through the clear dials.

My question is this: How am I supposed to paint it without painting the dials? They're tiny, and I can't image its feasible to mask them.

Any thoughts?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hello Michael

Try liquid mask (like Humbrols Maskol) applied with a tooth pick

HTH

Steffen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Michael.
One option would be to first dip the panel in Klear. Paint the panel by using a very thin mix of paint. 70% thinners/30% paint. Touch the loaded brush against the panel and capilary action will pull the paint around the raised dials. The smooth surface of the Klear will help the paint run.
If you use thinned acrylics its very easy to strip the paint off and try again if your not happy. Naturally, you'll need to apply the decal after youve finished painting the panel.
Hope this helps.
Nige
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi again

Nigels post gave me another idea.

The instrument holes could also be drilled out. IIRC there are two decals: one "backwards" to be attached to the clear part from behind and one printed in the "right" direction. You could attach it to a white piece of plastic sheet and cut out the dashboard shape. Paint the clear part, drill out the holes glue the plastic sheet from behind (white glue), add a drop of Futur/Klear in the instrument faces.

cheers

Steffen
SilverDollar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Nigels post gave me another idea.

The instrument holes could also be drilled out. IIRC there are two decals: one "backwards" to be attached to the clear part from behind and one printed in the "right" direction. You could attach it to a white piece of plastic sheet and cut out the dashboard shape. Paint the clear part, drill out the holes glue the plastic sheet from behind (white glue), add a drop of Futur/Klear in the instrument faces.

cheers

Steffen

That's the way I do it also. It gives a much better result that the box stock solution.
 _GOTOTOP