_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Which ww2 bomber?
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 09:28 PM UTC
I am a beginner. I have built a 1/72 airfix spitfire and a tamiya 1/72 P51-D Mustang 8th. So the bomber is my third kit. I am not going for those avro lancasters. Can you recommend any bombers 1/72? and how do i paint camoflage(spelling wrong i think) if i am paint with brush? And what is "email colour" from revell.It seems to thick , whenever i paint it after the first stroke the paint become very sticky. Do i need to strip it? Thanks in advance.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hello Kyaw

Revell Email is an enamel paint. You need appropriate thinners for those, which you would use to make your paint more user friendly. Normally Revell paints are thinned for brush painting, but try to get their thinner for this paint type to improve it.

Brush painting is very difficult (for me) if you aim to get similar results as with an airbrush. Thin the paint properly but not too thin or you will get imperfections.

Try to paint wet in wet .. i.e. try to avoid overpainting your paint during the process (set each stroke beside the other with minimal overlapping). Do not go across paint that is beginning to dry. Paint several thinner layers if your paint is not opaque enough (let the paint dry thoroughly before you paint again)

Sorry can't help with the bomber. Maybe some more recent Hasegawas He 111, Ju 88, B-26 or Revell Fw 200, Ju 290, He 177 .. i do not know how the Academy/Minicraft B-17s are .. hope someone can help you better here.

all the best

Steffen
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Why not a Lanc, King of the WW2 bombers?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi there. You might try using polly scale acrylic paints or model master acryl. They brush fairly easily. Why not try an american bomber. Academy has a nice B-29, the true king of bombers! Sorry for the jab, I am an american after all. Ha ha.
Or try the Revell B-17 which is an inexpensive kit and you can brush it olive drab and neutral gray. Although an airbrush is certainly the way to go when you want to step up. Hope this helps. Russell
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hi Russell,,

The B-29 was bit of a one trick pony, the Lanc was the daddy when came to dropping all manner of bombs, big ones, little ones, even bouncing ones!!

At least, my grandad told me it was the boss and who am I to argue..
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi Steve. Yes the Lancaster could drop a bunch of different ordance, but so could a B-29.
It was designed for high altitude precision work, which it did the best it could up in the jetstream. It also did low to mid level work well. It dropped HE and incidiary, hope I spelled that right. It also dropped mines and mined the waterways around Japan. Of course it dropped the atom bombs. It was probably the most advanced bomber of its day.
Funny, how quickly out of date it became with the introduction of jets though.
Not taking anything away from the British bombers, the Lancaster and Halifax. I always thought the Halifax was a bit better looking bomber though. That may be my Canadian gradfather coming out in me, I think a lot of Canadians flew the Halifax. Take care. Russell
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hey,
What kind of bomber strikes your fancy in the hobby shop is what I would say.. but I like the B-25
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hey Kelly, you are right there. How about a civil bird. I get laughed at all the time for building an occasional airliner. Why not though. They don't drop bombs but do a lot of work that is for sure. I would like to see more of the smaller aircraft in civil work out in injection molded. Like the Saab 340 which I flew on in February, small cabin, boy. Or how about the deHavilland Dash-8 that fly out of here in northeast Tennessee. Russell
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:45 PM UTC
I think building a good airliner 727 37 or something like a dash 8 is harder than a WW2 fighter or bomber some times.. How about a decent Ilyushin or so from the old USSR that wont cost a arm and a leg..
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 02:13 PM UTC
I did a 747 last year, harder than any WW2 subject, took ages to get the paint right and I still wasn't happy. It has passed on to the scrapyard in the sky
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC
The only decent civvie airliner worthy of a model is the Curtiss T-32 Condor II! The king of air transport!
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thanks for all the advice. I got a revell 1/72 Junkers Ju 88 A-4/D-1. The kit is inexpensive but you don't get the same quality as tamiya.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
Although it is 1/48 instead of 1/72, I highly recommend Accurate Miniatures B-25 series. It build up great, and can be done in various schemes that are much easier for a new modeler. Italieri also uses the same molds for theirs.

Also remember, correct spelling is optional on Aeroscale. Lucky for me.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi All

Revell is a good choice when price shall be low (at least here in Europe) which would rule out your suggestion Carl.

I had not recommended the old Ju 88 dog, but now you have it make the best of it. Avoid the Hudson and A-26 from Revell and Italeri. Both are Czech short run quality without resin and etch goodies and will not bring you much fun.

Maybe try a Revell Me262 next or a Thunderbolt...

all the best

Steffen

P.S. The newer Academy kits are also nice: Il-2. Me 262, F-16, A-10, Helldiver ... sadly the decals are often very bad
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
Lot's of Great suggestions from the guy's and gal's . The only thing that I would say is go with what you like and Have fun !
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:20 AM UTC
Well, there are a lot of excess plastic around the edges of parts. And the hobby shop gave me humbrol paints the usual red for the bit of the prop, 67, 91, 65(for the underside of the plane)All MATT. So i don't know which is which. I am painting the A-4. So can anyone help me out as i don't know the camo scheme by colour? The box art did not help because the plane is nosing up so all i can see is the underside. I have checked the colour ref chart but i am confused by paint mixings on the instr sheet. Much thanks.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC
hello Kyaw

yeah, the mixes can be confusing .. I would not do that for the first model:

take
Hu65 for the underside (it is close to the real colour RLM 65)
Hu 91 is close to RLM70 which is the darker upper colour
for the lighter tone try to get Hu 116
Hu 67 is probably the cockpit colour

Matt is nice (dries faster than gloss) but difficult for the decals. Try to find Johnsons Klear or Future (now called "Pledge with Future shine") in a drugstore (or anywhere you get that acrylic floor wax) It is a cheap glossy clear "paint"... if you can not get it buy a gloss clear model paint. Brush it where your decals should be placed an let it dry. (if you wish paint the whole model glossy)

Apply the decals on it. If you put a few drops of vinegar in the water you use to wetten the decals they will conform easier to the model.

It will be necassary to get some flat clear paint to make the whole model flat again. If you like it glossy, thats o.k. too

HTH

cheers

Steffen
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:03 AM UTC
I would say that a B-25 would be a nice beginner bomber. There is a minimal amount of clear plastic to install and interior painting and detail is also kept to a minimum. You could build the solid nose variant which would further minimize the amount of clear plastic to fiddle with. The B-25 also had a minimal amount of turrets which might make a beginner build less tedious. Plus, I think that most people would agree that the B-25 is a beautiful bird(as far as medium bombers are concerned). Another bonus is that the B-25 was in service with several countries which gives you multiple decaling options. Good luck with your decision!!
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:30 AM UTC
Thanks Steffen, But how about another camo colour; there are two colours in the scheme. Should i get Hu 116. But it can't be Hu116 because the instr sheet says 75% greenish grey(RLM67)+ 25%yellow(RLM15) or is it? I think 90%granite grey(RLM69)+ 10%white(RLM5) is Hu 91. And 60%Light green(RLM55)+ 10%grey(RLM57)+ 30%white(RLM5) is Hu 65. Sorry for troubling you.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi Kyaw

maybe I got your version wrong, but normally the Ju 88 had two upper side colours (RLM 70 and 71) in a splinter scheme and RLM 65 on the lower side.

The contrast is pretty hard to see, thats why I post another of a He 111 (just because the scheme is better to recognize, the colours are o.k in the upper profile .. RLM 71 is some kind of olive green and RLM black green is err ... black green)

I think your instruction sheet should have such a scheme too ?! ...

all the best

Steffen
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:56 PM UTC
Sorry, there are colour schemes in the instr sheet but i am confused by mixings and the black and white paper. And i think RLM71 colour is the colour of the parts.(you know like some have grey)So i think i will just go with HU33(black) for RLM70 and HU67 for RLM7. Or i will go get RLM70 and RLM71 from the shop. For camo masking shall i use just normal masking tape or are there any special for brush painting.Or do i just paint without any maskings. I would like to post pictures but i don't have a camera.Thanks
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi Kyaw

Did you read my post????

Quoted Text

And the hobby shop gave me humbrol paints the usual red for the bit of the prop, 67, 91, 65(for the underside of the plane)All MATT.

So you alread have those right? and thats fine because you only need Hu (=Humbrol) 116 extra

Because, as I wrote:

Quoted Text

Hu65 for the underside (it is close to the real colour RLM 65)
Hu 91 is close to RLM70 which is the darker upper colour
for the lighter tone try to get Hu 116
Hu 67 is probably the cockpit colour

So what is your problem now? What do you want to do in black except maybe some details or the tires?

Just forget all the mix instructions and focus on the pictures that are in your instructions! The dark upper colour is RLM 70 (=Hu91) the lighter colour is RLM 71 (=Hu116). the underside is RLM 65 (=Hu65). the cockpit (inside ) is RLM 66 (=Hu67)

I do not know how I should explain it easier ...

As for masking. you need low tack masking tape. Either get Tamiya tape from the Hobby shop. or ask what they have. Also possible is Scotch 3M "frosty" tape it is low tack but less flexible than Tamiya

Scotch ( the pic is for the German brand it is called Scotch® Removable Magic™ Tape in GB)

Tamiya

HTH

cheers

Steffen
kyaw25
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
Sorry, now i understand. So all i got to buy is HU 116 and the Scotch® Removable Magic™ Tape.
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
I think you got it now Kyaw..
Have fun and show us some pic's of how things are going.
Later,
Kelly
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi Kyaw

I was starting to think that I am writing Swahili

If you want to paint the wheel wells, struts and so on you might want to get RLM 02 too .. for a beginner it would also be o.k. to lighten the 116 with white but if you want to get a separate colour Hu 86 or Revell 45 are pretty close .. but as I wrote mixing is always an option!

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP