_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Mr. Surfacer
TOONCES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
I see a number of posts using Mr. Surfacer. What is Mr. Surfacer and what is it used for? John
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
it is a gray filler that is suspended in a lacquer base. it works really well for some things, but not big gaps or holes, as it shrinks quite a bit as it dries/evaporates.

it is, however, really awesome for filling really fine lines, blending in canopies, and similar things.

you can apply it with a paint brush and it cleans up with isopropynol (rubbing alcohol). you can "sand" it with a q-tip cotton swab moistened with isopropynol as well, which is REALLY handy.

it comes in several thicknesses, but in the states you only see 500 and 1000 (which is finer/thinner).

it is currently difficult to find in the states though, due to some weirdness with importing laws.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC
This link should provide you with the information you need.

Mr Surfacer

Also any reason why this has been put as a build log?
pmessling
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
with all this talk of mr surfacer, i tried thinning down normal humbrol filler and worked a treat, has probably been done before, but works good, using differing amounts of thinners you can make it a thick or as thin as you want and can be brushed on. and cleans off easy,
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but in the states you only see 500 and 1000 (which is finer/thinner).

If you look around you can find the 1200 which is finer still. I have some on hand and it is really nice to use a primer. Just have to have the stones to shoot it thru your airbrush! I usually clean my stuff up with lacquer thinner to be on the safe side. "Q"
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
If you use Mr. Color Thinner with the Surfacer, you can apply it with an airbrush as well (Surfacer 1000 is better for this I guess). It is useful if you have to smooth out a large surface like the hull of a resin ship or a resin car body.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
The hobby shops here have a hard time getting this in , are suppliers are in the states go figure , so I have had to come up with other ways of filling seems . Here is a few that work for me .
Baking soda mixed with white glue . sands very easy and fast and takes paint very well , however if detail is lost from sanding it doesn't scribe very well .

Liquid paper works very well for fine seems , sands nicely and takes paint well and light scribing can be done . I only use Squadron white putty for the heavier jobs .
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
I have all 3 grits of Mr. Surfacer in my shop....have never had a problem getting it...not sure what the big deal is all about!
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
...and all three grades are also pretty easy to track down here in Australia. Absolutely fabulous stuff, although I find Tamiya liquid primer works just as well (and is probably a near-identical formula). cheers Brad
Phil_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
Brad,

There is one significant difference between Mr Surfacer and Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer.

You can clean up Tamiya LSP with methylated spirits, but Mr surfacer is unresponsive. This means you can clean your brushes without the need for lacquer thinner. You can also, at a pinch, thin LSP with metho for airvrushing.
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
Phil

I didn't realise that - I've been using lacquer thinner to clean up after the LSP as well (works very well) - I must try meths now! thanks for the tip, Brad
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 09:16 AM UTC
MDC are the UK importers / stockists of Mr Surfacer and all things Gunze.

IAN
 _GOTOTOP