Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Jasta 5 Project
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Lovely work there! Its very impressive!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Love it. Seven to go. So what are the next ones going to be?

This is what modeling is all about folks. Bringing history to life.

I think the gray one with the bars might have been Schlomer's mount, probably taken over by sombody else.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:14 PM UTC
As Stephen would say, here's a little fun ...

Flying Jasta 5 1/12/10

Flying Jasta 5 1/12/10

Flying Jasta 5 1/12/10

I put some pilot figures in there and snapped some pics just as an experiment. With a better set-up and a little photoshop to add some sky ... Jasta 5 flies again!

Regards, Dwayne
Emilio_Lizardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
Very lovely work! After you do all of the Albatros D types, you could do an Albatros CIII flying a circuit over your field with a cameraman in the read seat! Also, was there a Pfalz in the line up when this was done?
Rogga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
So very impressive .
This project have been one of the most awsome things i have seen , i lift my hat for this realy great work

NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
I'm jealous!!

(Speachless)

Cheers Nick
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. Here are some progress shots of the Jasta 5 project from the Dwaynewilly Aeroworks assembly line.

Jasta 5 Last 5 D.V's 1/27/10#1

Jasta 5 Last 5 D.V's 1/27/10#2

I am using the latest Eduard Dual Combo kit of the Albatros D.V for the raw materials, three of them.

Jasta 5 Last 5 D.V's 1/27/10#3

Jasta 5 Last 5 D.V's 1/27/10#4

The sixth model may turn out to be a Candy Stripe Rumey, I have not painted the struts or the wheel covers yet.

Jasta 5 Last 5 D.V's 1/27/10#5

Next step is the completion of the inside bits and the joining of the fuselage halves. The markings of these next five are not as elaborate as the previous three so progress may be a little quicker. Yeah, right! Time will tell.

Regards, Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC
I'm going to start buying stocks ! Looking forward to the next up-date on these five and the candy stripe which has my attention !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
To quote a famous flying squirrel: "Hoakey Smokes"! I am looking forward to the next five. I have a couple of Jasta 5 Decals, one from the Aurora 1975 release! Don't know how accurate it is though. One offering is the red arrow, the other is the Edelweiss.

Not trying to steal your thunder. But this is what I am talking about. Not sure how accurate it is, but it was a fun build using the Aurora kit, and painting the lozenge.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
Mark,

Nice job on that old kit! Have to give you a lot of credit taking on hand painted lozenge! Those old kits are fun to build, they may not be as accurate as the latest offerings but you can build one relatively quickly and they still look reasonably like the subject matter. It's like therapy for the AMS in some of us.

Dwayne
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
That is a great job. The Blitz of von Hippel was black, not red. I know they believed it was red for a long time, and the old kits did the decals in red. That does not take away from your build at all. You did a remarkable job.

Nice production line. I was over at the other forum and saw the first two drawings for the upcoming Jasta 5 decals. The bavarian and the demon. I to am collecting kits for a Jasta 5 lineup. So far 9 D.Vs and the Dual Pfalz (I know Terri has a big grin on her face). My next order, when the new D.III is available, will be 3 D.IIIs and 2 of the Dual D.Vs.

See what you started.

Now if I could only talk Burl out of his decals.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:11 PM UTC
Thanks Carl: I thought it was black as well, after seeing so many drawings etc. of it in black. What the hey? My girlfriend likes it, so it sits on her TV, she even asked if we ever break up can she keep it! I told her such a silly question. Of course I want it back.
It was a fun build, and I will do the other one with the Edelweiss, can't think of the pilots name right now.
I too saw Rowan's line up for the WNW DV. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Dwayne, keep 'em comin. You inspire us all.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
The Edelweiss on a red fuselage was piloted by Paul Baumer in Jasta 5. It crashed into a canal while being flown by Willy Lehman after Baumer left. Willy liked the marking and had his next machine marked almost exactly the same. Baumer went to Jasta Boelcke and had his machine there marked with the Edelweiss on a black fuselage.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Edelweiss on a red fuselage was piloted by Paul Baumer in Jasta 5.

Paul Baumer, how could I forget that. I just watched 'All Quiet On the Western Front' with Michael Thomas (Forever known as John Boy Walton) and his character was Paul Baumer. I didn't like some of the 'artistic license' the movie makers took. that movie is 30 years old! I liked the book better

Thanks for the info on that Carl.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
If memory serves me, the author was actually a friend of Paul Baumer, and used his name with permission. But yes, it was a great show, that I would watch again and again.

btw, if you like these aircraft, you should invest in the Jasta 5 publications by Rimell/Albatros Productions. It is a must have if you plan on doing Jasta 5.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
Interesting bit of trivia there. I will check into that publication. Thanks for the heads up.

Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
Aeroscale Dwellers,

Here is an update on the construction of the next five Albatros D.V's for the project. The worker bees at the Dwaynewilly Aeroworks have been putting in some hours and wanted me to share the results. They are now out on the town dining on some hard earned Brats and Beers at the nearest Brauhouse, courtesy of the Aeroworks management team of course!

Jasta 5 project 2/3/10#1

The interior stage of the kits is complete and the fuselage halves will be joined tonight.

Jasta 5 project 2/3/10#2

Stay tuned while we dry out the work crew for their next go around!

Cheers, Dwayne
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is an update on the construction of the next five Albatros D.V's for the project.

I think I see a bonus sixth Albatros at the Aeroworks.

Quoted Text

The worker bees at the Dwaynewilly Aeroworks have been putting in some hours and wanted me to share the results. They are now out on the town dining on some hard earned Brats and Beers at the nearest Brauhouse, courtesy of the Aeroworks management team of course!

If it is the Hofbrauhaus, tell them to be careful going out the back door. (If you have ever been there, you will understand.)

Which schemes will these be?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
Amazing stuff Dwayne: I am looking forward to the next addition of the Jasta 5 Legacy.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
Excellent progress with this run of kits !
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 03:02 PM UTC
Thanks folks.

Captain, I figured that since I was using three dual combo kits and I only needed five more D.V's, why leave that last kit in the box by itself?! Building six is not that much more work than building five. The remaining D.V machines are the dragon, white stallion on the red shield, black phoenix on white shield, those all have gray fuselages. An all green fuselage and a replacement machine that had not been painted in Jasta 5 colors yet. Reading Dr. Merrill's Windsock Jasta 5 volume one, the unmarked machine may have taken the place of Joseph Mai's Albatros. He was at Jasta 5 during the time the pictures were taken but none of the machines in the line up can be attributed to him. If that's good enough for Dr. Merrill then it's good enough for me.

I stated earlier that the sixth kit will probably be the Candy Striped machine of Fritz Rumey. I have the FCM decal sheet with those markings so I figured I'd take a crack at that one. Love those Green Tails!

Dwayne
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would love to see a demonstration of the wood grain painting technique you describe. Excellent work and a fantastic series of aircraft! Thank you

DITTO" that would be a great feature and help.

Robert
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would love to see a demonstration of the wood grain painting technique you describe. Excellent work and a fantastic series of aircraft! Thank you

DITTO" that would be a great feature and help.

Robert

As an aside, Mike Taylor at Misterkit.usa has a selection of the SPADA decals Wood Grain Series. I have used them with success and satisfaction on my LVG build to good effect. Whilst not minimializing the effort to create realistic wood patterns by painting techniques, and Dwaynes' is very convincing, for those of us, who are "wood grain challenged", these decals are the ticket! They come in all scales and varieties to satisfy the most 'discriminating modeler', with a variety of patterns to spice up the cockpit, or the differenct panels of the fuselage. With various shades of undercoating, clear coating with oranges and yellows, the modeler can create a very dramatic and convincing effect.
I have no affiliation with Mike Taylor, other than I am a satisfied customer and am very pleased with the results of his decals.

Cheers
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 04:50 AM UTC
Did U say 48-scale. I know of guys doing thius in 72-scale with less detailing than you fixed up.( what´s wrong with you??) ( just kidding) This is awesome, never seen this before.

Just one Q

Will you ever pick up a D5 again???

Regards

Larsa

p.ssometimes I can have the feeling that one kit can be just to much
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Robert,
The technique I use for the wood grain can be found at the link below. Well, most of my current practices are outlined there but some have been modified since I wrote that. The mechanics have basically not changed but color choice and it's application have been tweeked. It's a starting point so feel free to use whatever intrigues you.

The Spada decals Mark mentioned are excellent. In fact, I am working on a way to combine the painting technique with the Spada decals. I want to use it first in 1/32 scale.

Larsa,
I know, I know ... I am a bit nuts but i'll surprise you and say this, that I am not burnt out on the D.V, believe it or not! While my next projects after this will probably not include an Albatros D.V I can see many more in the future. Jasta Boelcke, Jasta 18/15 and Jasta 11 are just a few I'd love to do, if I live long enough!

Click here.

Dwayne