_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Photo etched parts
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC

Hi All

Just a quick one- I’m going to be building a kit with photo-etched parts in it and also quite keen to start using more brass etch stuff. My question is what it’s the best adhesive/glue to use to attach it to the plastic parts? Any ideas?
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 03:59 PM UTC
Depends on the part and where it will go. If it will be covered in paint and you don't need positioning time, then CA works fine. If it's going on clear parts or on top of paint, I usually use a dab of future, or some white glue which dries clear, or I use woodland scenics realistic water(which is what I use to secure canopies and it's some TOUGH stuff, but expensive). You can also use epoxy if you need a stronger bond, but there is risk of fogging from CA.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:54 AM UTC
I look for PE first find is the answer I need. Wow
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 07:23 PM UTC
Micheal has pretty much said it , If you are planning to use a lot of etch parts then get yourself a etch-mate to aid in the folding and different sizes of tubing for rolling , much easier then trying to have to do this by hand .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
If you use CA try to get the gel variety...less messy and a little dab of the part you want to fix on a small button of CA is easier to control than the thin. Also it dries a little slower allowing you to adjust it some...not much though.

I tried Gator Grip with mixed success... its more a white PVA glue but I seem to make more mess with it.

K
 _GOTOTOP