_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
FW-190A-8/R2 WIP
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:10 AM UTC
Just picketdup Eduards FW-190A-8/R2 for my first attempt at building planes and at this scale (I'm used to 1/35). Here are some pix of my work in progress..

I have the cockpit ready for priming and painting before I attach the pre-colored PE.

Will return when I have the cockpit fully assembled. Thanks for watching ...
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
Below are pix of the finished cockpit (not used to building in such a small scale and with so many PE parts). I tried to put all of the PE parts that I could, but had to leave some out due to size and I couldn't glue it without making a mess of the cockpit. All in all, I'm quite pleased with my first attempt.

Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for watching!!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Looking good so far Hermann . I like the seat belts , is that in the kit or from another PE set ?
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
The build is straight from the box .. no aftermarket parts. I'm quite impressed with everything that comes with the kit. I comes with a large part count, detailed PE parts, masking for the canopy and impressive decals. It's a bit overwhelming for a first time builder, but this site has provided my with inspiration and direction for the build.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello Herrmann

very nice start! I would have a small nit pick, but I better keep it to myself .. it is minor and as it is your first aircraft will not bother you.

If you like have a look at my very old thread (I just restarted on this A-8 kit):

Eduard Fw 190 A-8 Rowan also has started a thread on his build .. somewhere here on Aeroscale

all the best

Steffen
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello herrmann

very nice start! I would have a small nit pick, but I better keep it to myself .. it is minor and as it is your first aircraft will not bother you.

Steffen

Steffen, please don't hold back. This is the only way that I'll learn and wont repeat any mistakes on future builds.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Well, then ...

as I wrote it is minor, but the seat belts are fixed to the backplate behind the seat and not on top of it .. I am not sure how to explain it best (I did it also wrong on my model, though it is less noticable, as I used another style of seat belts or you cut away the part where it should have been attached)

IMO it is correctly (simplified) shown here http://www.eduard.cz/products/pdf/nfe/fe424.pdf (e.g.) ... at the center of pg.1

all the best

Steffen
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
What is curious is that the Eduard PE set for the Tamiya A8 shows it correctly. They even supply little PE loops from which to suspend the shoulder harness from the back of the bukhead.

Cheers,
Fred
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
Good work so far on an excellent kit..

One area to be careful of in these kits is the instrument panel. I can't quite tell from your pics, but maybe the intrument panel sits very slightly back from being fully seated in it's slots, the brass panel tends to cause this to happen.
This happened on my A5 and i thought, "who cares" it's only slightly sitting back, and it's only an instrument panel. BUT when it comes to later fitting the firewall aft of the top deck guns, it too will sit slightly forward, then the engine mounts, then the engine and then the cowl will sit strangely! I ended up filing the back of the istrument panel down to half it's thickness to make the firewall sit fully home in it's slots.

That's the thing with these Eduard FW's...they do fit very well, but you really have to make sure that everything fits right where it's meant to, as everthing seems to effect the fitment of the next item along.

Andrew
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
Andrew, you were right on the money .. I did a test fit and the same thing happened. The firewall was moved slightly forward due to the instrument panel of the cockpit. I'll try your remedy of filling the width of the panel down till I get a good fit. Thanks for your observation!! If you remember anything other surprises from your Eduard build please give me the heads up!! Thanks in advance.

Steffen, thanks for letting me know of the correct placement of the safety harnesses. Looking back at Eduard's manual shows a fit similar to mine.
 _GOTOTOP