_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Photo-etched Parts
artfuldodger1918
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hey folks. I have been a plastic modeller for years, and am attempting my first kit with photo-etched parts-the Bronco Staghound Armoured Car with 60lb rockets-I am very excited, you never see Canadian armour, and the markings are for the Manitoba Dragoons which is very cool, as I grew up in Manitoba.

I would like some advice on how to remove the parts from the trees without causing damage, can I use a normal xacto? Also, I am allergic to CA glue, when I try to use it my eyes swell up and my nose burns....it is quite unpleasant. Some advice on glue would be good as well.

I really appreciate any help.

Cheers
HM
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Highly recommended: Gator's Glue. Lots here use it and have nothing but good reports. I just bought some; can't wait to use it.I think the site is: Gatorsglue.com. Kenny Loup is the creator and owner...he is on the forums here very frequently. Put a post and ask what everyone thinks of it.

Matt
artfuldodger1918
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:40 PM UTC
Thanks, and Cheers!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC
For cutting the parts off the tree it will be easier to place the tree on a hard surface such as glass or hard tile and use a new # 11 blade . You can also put tape on the under side or top so the part won't go flying away into never -never land .
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
I wouldn't recommend a surface as hard as glass. It will blunt your knife and make losses due to rebounds more likely. I use an offcut of thick plastic sheet. It's hard enough to avoid the part folding into the cut or bending, while still soft enough not to harm the blade, and has the added benefit of holding the part in the little cut that you make in the plastic. Not always, but most of the time (though there's no substitute for holding down both part and fret - a pair of tweezers in your other hand works quite well).
 _GOTOTOP