1/32 Fw 190D-9 with extras
dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Aye up all!

I thought it about time I contributed here with a build. I've spent so much time leeching ideas off you lot, now I have a chance to show how inept I can be. The model of choice is the new mould Hasegawa Fw 190D-9. To go with this, I'm going to add the following:

Aires
Fw190D full detail resin set #2031
Black Dog Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-9 resin Tail wheel with mechanism access door #A32002
Black Dog Focke-Wulf FW 190 A,D resin detail set (flaps, rudder and fuel fillers etc) #A32001
Eduard Fw190D Landing flaps #32101
MDC Fw 190D9 Wheel Set #CV32028
MDC MG-151 set with brass barrels
Master Model MG-131 brass barrels
Radu Brinzan Late Luftwaffe seatbelts #RB-P32006
PK Tinyland German service panel set
MDC German Duralumin Manufacturers Stamps #D32009
Mike Grant Decals Instruments & Placards set
HobbyDecal Fw-190 Stencils ver 1 #st32003v1
Montex Super Mask Set Fw-190D9 (Galland Circus) #K 32048
EagleCals Fw190 decal set
G-Factor brass Fw190A/D undercarriage

I'm using a mish mash of technique I've picked up and some techniques from the new FAQ book by JM Villaba....basically whatever fits the task. Also using Gunze paint for the first time too.
I warn you that I've never attempted anything like this before, but I'm confident with using resin and etch etc. which I've used in smaller projects. The finished model will be posed with all access ports open (well, most of them anyway), and engine cowls posed open. All weapon bays will be displayed open, as will the canopy.

Here's a few pics of some of the stuff I will be using:

I'm in for a long haul, right? :blink:

Jim

Here's the work so far. The first thing that had to come off was the nose, so I chain drilled this and cleaned it up with a surgical kinfe. Edges were then sanded flat. For the most serious part of the kit destruction, it seemed to go pretty well. For posterity, I took some pics first.

The fuselage needed quite a lot of remedial work to make the resin and etch parts sit, but firstly, the kit is totally devoid of rivets, so this needed to be remedied. I fixed this with the help of Radus Rivet-R tool and some drawings depicting the rivet patterns. Seemed to work pretty well, and I rolled the riveter against the edge of Tamiya tape. It took a little getting used to...it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it at this stage.

I removed the service ports and hatches/doors where I wanted to depict them open and also thinned down the fuselage skin at this point to make it a little more realistic. As far as the main service hatch goes, this work looks quite brutal from inside, but with the installation of the etch metal fuselage formers and stringer, the remainder of the gouges are filled in with superglue gel.

The rear fuselage resin section is superbly cast, but misses as least 2 obvious items which I scratch built with the help of plasticard and rod, plus thin tine foil. These are the elevated bulkhead onto which is clipped the engine starter crank, and also the elevator control rods.

With these added and the other resin parts cleaned up, I primed and airbrushed this section in Alclad2 Airframe Aluminium. From there, a quick thin coat of Klear was added and then the MDC duralumin decals were added. A coat of MicroSet was added to the whole lot before another coat of Klear. With this dry, a highly thinned mist of Tamiya Earth acrylic was sprayed along the stringer and ribbing as well as the riveted panels. Tamiya Flat Aluminium was then added to highlight the fuselage formers. All other interior stuff was sprayed with Gunze acrylics, with minor detail being painted with Vallejo acrylics.

In the meantime, the forward fuselage area was thinned to accept the bulkheads for the weapon bay. The instrument visor was also removed to eventually be replaced with a more accurate resin part with higher detail.

That's all for now folks.....I'll get more work done and post an update when there's something to show

Jim

Hi all,

I've spent literally days, accumulatively to get to this stage. The cockpit is now almost totally complete and I've added some extra plumbing to the rear fuselage internals...namely for the control linkages I'd missed (but so did Aires!) and for the reserve fuel tank piping. Both loose ends of these pipes for the tank will terminate at the fuel filler cap, now fitted to the fuselage (from the excellent Black Dog resin detail set).

Interior of the cockpit is painted in Gunze RLM66, and detail colours are picked out with a combination of Vallejo, White Ensign and Humbrol paints. Pigments are added to the cockpit interior, but not too much.

I just had to add the set of seatbelts I bought from Radu, and they are great! Many thanks to his work in designing these. They took 3 hours as I have fingers like fag ends (Brit saying!), but I don't think I could use anything else now.

I hope to get everything fit into this fuselage section within the next week or so. Everything dry fits beautifully since I modded loads of parts. I still say this Aires resin set was done for a different tooling of this kit.

Sorry for the bad pic of the panel. It looks great to the eye, but awful on a blown up digital pic. The rest I'm happy with

Jim

dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
The tail was the next candidate for my hatchet and for this I removed ALL control surfaces so I could replace them with the Blackdog resin. I also wanted to remove the tail access door and detail the interior. The resin kit is superb but lacked that familiar dimpled plate at the rear, so this was made with thin plasticard, drilled and covered with a thin covering of tin metal foil, pushed into the drilled holes.

I decided to add the small oxygen tanks to the tail extension section, so drilled out the access port and thinned the plastic at that point. I then got some beads of the correct diameter and strung them along a strip of plastic rod and painted them in the correct blue before adding them in. This shot shows the work prior to the posts etc being cleaned up The just scribed port was also missing from the kit. This was referenced from Bentleys superb drawings. All is now cleaned up and presentable.

After trials and tribulations; more thinning of the plastic and millions of test fits, the fuselage was married to the wing and the tailplane added, all with superglue gel. Any areas to be filled were done so with Mr Dissolved Putty and rubbed down with some wonderful sanding sticks from modelsforsale.co.uk. The model was primed with Halfords white acrylic primer. This is the first time I departed from using Alclad2 grey primer, and for large areas, I think I'll stick to this stuff. It's wonderful. All pre-shading is done with Tamiya acrylic. This is it so far. I promise I'll keep you updated more regularly

Have fun,
Jim

So as not to be a slacker

Tamiya flat white has been sprayed on the underside to fade out the pre shading and a whole van load of Tamiya tape was used to mask off thewhite bars. Gunze RLM23 was then sprayed on in very thin coats so it self sealed the tape. Enough paint was sprayed to allow proper coverage, and what you can't see in these pictures is the proper colour of the paint, and also the pre-shading which still shows beautifully. I just seem to be harrassed with bright light and crap photos. Still, I'm pleased so far, and NO paint bleeding. Tomorrow I'll paint the fuselage sides in light blue :rolleyes:

Jim

Ok guys,

Here is my first attempt at mottling and I did it straight on the model with no practise as I'm too impatient for that :lol: It's by no means perfect but this is the one bit of the model I'd been dreading since I bought this kit. I no longer 'feel the fear'! I'm always open to suggestions on how I could have bettered it. I know there are a few 'harder' blasts from the airbrush where I was perhaps a little too thin too start with.

I have used the Galland Circus JV44 set of EagleCal decals for this and Mr Mark Setter to get them to seat. I had no use for the Mark Softer as the decals are very thin as they are.

I just need to get to work on the rudder, elevators and landing flaps now as well as a few odds 'n sods before I look at the engine.

The model is currently in Klear. I need to add another coat yet, as well as weathering and washes before I matte the finish down.

Jim

I've done the majority of post shading now, and added a wash. Wash was done with Promodeller black wash instead of the oil I usually use. It seemed to do a good job but I had to add a touch of washing-up liquid to it to break it's surface tension as it was pooling on the model surface.

I still need to do a little panel post shading yet and some staining, but so far so good.

Panel line accents were touched up with Tamiya acrylic thinned 90%.

I've now started on the cowl panels and engine components. The rudder and elevators, landing flaps etc are now painted and ready for installation.

Jim
dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC
The engine is about 80% complete. At the moment, it's had a base of Magnesium Alclad, with a misting of Dark Aluminium Alclad, and shading is with heavily thinned Tamiya black XF2. The supercharger was sprayed XF2 and then misted with Dark Aluminium Alclad also, with other work done in White Aluminum Alclad.

I still need to do some work on the ancilliary kit on the engine as well as weather the exhausts and manifolds and then do a final oil wash. Here she is so far:

dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC
The Dora is almost complete and 3 months at are near to a close, thank God! I still have to figure out how to do the resin hardstand base I have and the figures.

The engine is mounted, and that took the most time. I found an issue with the bearers which mean that when they were mounted to the engine, and then to the bulkhead, the engine pointed downwards. I swear I had done everything to make sure this was correct, even comparison with the Bentley drawings. I had to pack the lower strust point on each bearer up by about 1mm to get the engine to the correct elevation.

I still have to add the smaller detail stuff such as the fuel filler service ports, aerials, foot step etc, as well as a little extra airbrushing to enhance the exhause stains.

Here is the job so far, and please excuse the crap photography:

dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
Admins/Mods....is this topic in the right place?

Jim
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi Jim

beautiful model!!! not my scale but outstanding work!!

I have a question, as you seem very familiar with the interior. In the Aires set is the large mother compass which I thought was a feature of the R11 bad weather flying equipment (like the D-9 pulled from lake Schwerin and still in restoration in Gatow) Were all D-9 equipped with this large compass?

all the best

Steffen

dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 10:45 PM UTC
My Arthur Bently drawings of the D-9 do indeed show the compass fitted as such, so I would say 'yes'. I've also accumulated so much reference material which seems to suggest this was also the case.

Jim
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Many thanks Jim!

Maybe I was just confusing things with the larger "daughter compass" in the R11 ...

all the best

Steffen
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
Jim, the end result of all the hard work and dedication is simply jaw-dropping for lack of better words. It's truely inspirational and I could only dream of achieving such mastery of one's craft!! Bravo

Cheers,
Hermann
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 04:40 AM UTC
Simply stunning work Jim, nothing else to say.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Wow. You are right that is "crap" photography. It's actually fine but you are depriving us.
Please post plently more closeups if you can I just want to see more of this.
In awe and inspired. Thanks for sharing this. I feel like chucking my red13 in the bin.
But of course that is not what it is about. Good to see what can be achieved.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC
Amazing job you did, especially the engine is splendid !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

Amazing work! I can't wait to see the complete dio with wood base, figures and all...

Jean-Luc
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
I agree, amazing, $%#%ing amazing!
dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
Just a few more shots for you. Thanks for all your kind comments.

stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC
Stunning, simply marvellous. I could use pictures of your model as a walk around!
Steve
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
Wow! The detail shots really show the effort that has gone into this model!

The transfers for the manufacturers labels on the aluminum are so cool!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
I'm a bit late to this party- but glad I made it! Fantastic work, Jim- and an excellent presentation. The Duralumin manufacturer's stamps are an amazing addition- we need those in 1/48! Congrats on a superb build, and cheers!

chuk
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Great build!! JV-44 A/C are my favorite and you definitely did it right!
alphalimafoxtrot64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 12:16 AM UTC
Wow.

To quote David Rees, "your technique is truly unstoppable!"

Thanks for sharing your work, it is simply top-rate. Patience and a steady hand are obvious in the outcome - a superb Dora.

Adam
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
WOW MAN!
Words fail me
dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
Very glad you like here. The next one up is the 1/32 Revell Ju88.
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very glad you like here. The next one up is the 1/32 Revell Ju88.

mmmmmm, Ju-88, mmmmmm!

You really MUST start is as faster as possible
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Stunning work! We should get this beauty onto the Frontpage as a Feature!

All the best

Rowan
dieschwalbe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

I thought you already had!!!

_GOTOTOP