_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Hind D now finished
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi All,

This is my 1/48 Monogram Mi-24D. I reinforced the join between the rotors and the hub by drilling and inserting piano wire about 25mm long. I used Xtracolor enamel paints sealed with Modelmaster clear satin. I used an Aztek airbrush. The camo painting was done freehand. I used an old Heller Me-109 as my test model that I sprayed first to ensure everything was right with air, paint & thinner before starting. The panel lines were preshaded black but much of the effect was lost due to me applying too mush paint over the top. I masked the canopy using bare metal foil. This worked well but left behind a stubborn residue that took careful work to remove. I don't have any Future floor polish as it is near impossible to get in Australia so the canopy was polished with toothpaste to remove some light scratching that occurred in the box. Testors clear glue was used to attached the canopy. This is an excellent product. Stretched spue and 0.5mm styrene rod was used to enhance the "Oddrods" footstep and windsreen wipers. The wing lights were similated with bare metal foil painted with either Tamiya clear red or clear green. The tail boom light was the sorry looking kit part that was sanded and polished whilst being spun on a dremel tool, then its base was painted chrome and the outer surfaces painted clear red. The decals are OOB. For the weathering I used water colours as they have zero chance of reacting with the paint. The weathing is a little light on as I still remember the last model I ruined during this process lol.
C[ ]
Len

DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC
Nice job Len I have this kit to build as well and you have inspired me.
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 06:51 PM UTC
Nice work on your Hind!
The figures turned out very good.
Gorizont
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
Good work with this one!
I like the details on the missiles and the rotor parts.

greetings...
Soeren
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 08:50 PM UTC
Len,

Great work on the Hind, especially the free-hand camo and detail on the hub.

I use a product called Pledge One-Go instead of future, it is readily available from Coles or Safeway supermarkets. Give it a go.

Cheers, Damian ( another from Down-Under)
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the positive feedback fellas.

Hi Damian, in Western Australia its really hard to find Future or Pledge One Go.
Coles don't stock it and there aren't any Safeways stores. I have been searching for months. If anyone knows where it can be found in WA please let me know.
I'm trying Newmart next.

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Nice work. The frame lines on the canopies are superb as are the missile launchers and hub. The camo was free-hand? Well done.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
Fantastic! I love the subject matter--built one of these myself, although it did not turn out nearly as well as yours. Your weapons have great detail. I'm sure it was a bit easier with a 1/48 than my 1/72. And I really like the rocket pods. Were the little x-es in the rocket tubes painted or is that metal detailing?
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Robby,

Thanks for your reply. Those x-es just stood out like that when I applied a wash of thinned down black-brown paint. It settles into the recesses simulating shadows and making the raised areas stand out.

You just have to be careful that you choose the right thinner so that it does not damage your base coat. Test it or apply it to an unimportant area first.

I used the Pin Wash method so I applied the wash with a small brush only to the areas I wanted the detail to come out then dabbed away the excess with a q-tip.

eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC

Hi Len,

I've got one of Revell's 1/48 Hind kits, that I'm hoping to start soon. I'm stumped though to find the correct interior colour!

Did you buy the interior colour or did you have to do some DIY mixing??

Eoin
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm stumped though to find the correct interior colour!

Testors Model Master has the correct color for the cockpit in its Model Master II enamel line. It is called USSR Interior Blue/Green.

The rear cabin area should be medium gray though, not the interior blue/green.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Very nice build, Len. The camouflage look great along with the subtle weathering.

Maybe add a light brown wash to the pilot faces, but that is just a small detail.

Thanks for sharing
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC

Thanks a million for the paint tips...

Model Master are just coming into the European/UK market, so that's great news for me- something to add to my next online order!

Eoin
 _GOTOTOP