_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Dassault Super Etendard 1/48 Airfix/Heller
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:43 PM UTC
Very good looking model, Steffen, congratulations. As far as I see you don't have more work to do than just for 2-3 evenings.

Think about all these beautifull models waiting in your stash to be started after this one is done...and the postman is probably on his way to bring you something new.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi all

Jean-Luc, Rowan, Michal: thank you for your kind comments!

... but it is a strange thing, when I write: "Please do not comment. It is a bad model, I know that and I just want it finished ... so please do not press your finger in the wound!" I get 3 answers ... OTOH when I think "Well, this post was kind of controversial..." zilch, no comment, no reaction, die in your manhole we don't care .. wish there was an emoticon shaking his head

here is a short teaser ... it is done ... finally. I will take pictures of the model and I will post them, but the only thing I am proud of on this model is that it I S finished...

(sorry, artificial lighting and just from above ... hope I will get some good weather over the weekend)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Yep - it's a bad model and I'm not surprised you just wanted to see it finished!

But seriously! It looks great! All I'd suggest is filing some slight "flats" on the tyres - it does look like it's standing on tip-toe a bit.

I'll definitely take inspiration from this "against all odds" build - anything can be finished... provided you have the talent and determination! Well done!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Quoted Text

it's a bad model and I'm not surprised you just wanted to see it finished!

thanks mate, I knew you would appreciate it ... go finish the Late

Quoted Text

All I'd suggest is filing some slight "flats" on the tyres - it does look like it's standing on tip-toe a bit.

Hmm, where do you see that in the pictures? of course I could have done that but these are no "True Details original flat tyres"™ IMO it is not very different from this picture. Thinking about how this project went I will not touch this up --- I would probably break the legs or something similar .. so it's a Prima Ballerina that sunk you ships

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi again

Yeah - now you mention it, there are slight "flats"... but I always go by first impressions, so I'd add a bit more.

All the best

Rowan C[

PS - And you know I'm not going to go back to the Laté 298 until the Spitfire is finished, so there's no point nagging, even if the Spit isn't in "the one true scale"! LOL!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
Rowan: you get what you deserve

SEM-salabim

First pic natural light all others light tent with 5400K bulb from above ... I need to find some better lighting (esp. more)

I think no further comment from my side necessary but feel free to ask or comment anyway

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:40 AM UTC
My dear Steffen, I'm affraid you simpy exagerate how awful this model is. In my oppinion we didn't say that just to be politicaly correct or polite to you but because we do not see all these mistakes and errors which you can see on your model. So we simply do not know about them unless you don't say where is something wrong or use a finger to point it as for the dumbs... That's the magic of the internet photography...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My dear Steffen, I'm affraid you simpy exagerate how awful this model is. In my oppinion we didn't say that just to be politicaly correct or polite to you but because we do not see all these mistakes and errors which you can see on your model. So we simply do not know about them unless you don't say where is something wrong or use a finger to point it as for the dumbs... That's the magic of the internet photography...

Hello Michal

Well, first I must say that I strive for the best/maximum. I know I cannot reach it, but I try. I have to make some compromizes: some that I want and some that I have to. And then there are errors and mishaps. This project was extremely difficult because a lot o bad things happened that are of course not blaimed to the kit. This is not bad but takes a little work.

Also you are right that the photography hides a few things. I do not retouch the pix but still the camera hides a lot.. e.g. the surface is not smooth but has a few inclusions .. there is even a bristle even though I did not used a brush on this model?! A flat coat of Gunze would have evened out most of this, but Xtracrylix does not. It even is not totally flat but leaves the Klear showing through ... There are a lot of minor things which are not that bad on its own but add up to a bad model. It looks o.k or even good on the pictures but I know it is not ... hope I could make my point clear

I only read very nice comments so far. Even the chief editor of our mag asked me to do an article on the model for it .. I am not sure if people are just polite or if the pix are so forgiving or if I am overly critical ... who knows

all the best

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
It's a shame the finish didn't happen how you wanted. I see you've not given us
any real bad closeups of it chicken.
Glad to see it done though. And onwards and upwards with the Pitts special too.
You are a force of nature, Steffen. Keep her lit.
Mecenas
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:51 PM UTC
Oh Steffen, don't blubber. Look what I've done yesterady with a deadline of finishing this model in sight (31st December).

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi John-Paul and Michal

first: Thanks for watching and encouraging me!

@JP: you are soo right. I am not as other people who build on their own and do not post any in progress pix or Blog .. Et Voila! a new masterpiece. No comment no nada.

but well, I am a chicken .. roasted with dumpling and red cabbage ... hmmm yummi ... glad I am driving home for christmas (replace chicken with duck and you have our Christmas lunch)

@Michal .. well, I do not see your mistake .. o.k. the tracks are still missing and there is this sand blotch (which might be intentional ... don't know) I see a pretty nice Pz.III that is still in progress .. BTW finishing dead line for "La Marseillaise" was November 11 IIRC, luckily vance was very generous providing a ribbon anyway (Still I have the feeling that I deserve it )

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Look at the turret: it was painted grey and weathered with a tactical number - all had to be removed with a thinner... Other weathering and tracks are still in progress, indeed. I think you can understand my feeling when I have been deeping a q-tip in a thinner...something like killing a golden duck.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Look at the turret: it was painted grey and weathered with a tactical number - all had to be removed with a thinner... Other weathering and tracks are still in progress, indeed. I think you can understand my feeling when I have been deeping a q-tip in a thinner...something like killing a golden duck.

Ahh, I see. Yes very bad indeed. Even though it is very What was the problem?

all the best

Steffen
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
Very nice aircraft Steffen!

Cheers Nick
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:22 AM UTC
Thank you Nick!

I am sorry fo he late reply, but I try not to bump this all too often.

Seems all that wanted to comment did. So thanks again to everyone for watching and commenting! Hope to see you on one of my other Blogs .. when/if I proceed on any of my started projects ...

All the best

Steffen
P.S. read this today on HS

"Wenn't bloss ierst Abend wier, dat de Minsch sien Rauh kricht," säd Hans un trock sik morgens dei Strümp an.

made my day ..
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Wenn't bloss ierst Abend wier, dat de Minsch sien Rauh kricht," säd Hans un trock sik morgens dei Strümp an.

Some days are like that

tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Stephan,

It looks great! Congrats on finishing and doing so well. Looked and sounded like a very hard and nasty kit, but you persevered and overcame. Nicely done!

Tom
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
nice looking bird
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:13 PM UTC
Many thanks Tom and Dirk!

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
Nice build, Steffen! You are hard on yourself, but that is what keeps you improving your builds. I really like the look of this one. Very agressive looking with the Exocet missile in place.

Thanks for sharing
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

Many thanks for your kind comment

as a generale note, when I am involved in a project I know everything that did not work out like I wanted. When I have some distance I can appreciate (stand) the finished model a little better...

I think I will adjust the missile with a beige warhead and a black band, which will make it look a bit more accurate...

merry christmas

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC
..Steffen,

looks great ! .but I know how you feel, having to fight it all the way...

seriously very impressive looking model..and a very entertaining blog, especially as on-line builds of this type are pretty rare..

I've sent a few of your pics to my friend Jean-Marie Gall (former Etendard pilot) for his thoughts..
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hello Steffan,

I am pleased to see you did a nice job on the Etenard. If the Falklands Campaign was still active you definately would have deserved the ribbon.

Sincerely,
Brian
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Many thanks Neil and Brian

@Neil: I am not sure I am happy you show this to people that really know the aircraft ...

@Brian: well I would have liked to finish this for the Malvinas/Flaklands campaign. Luckily I did not proceed much and just had some bits and pieces done so that I was given access to the Marseillaise campaign which did not make in time, but finally I made it (4 weeks to late but got that ribbon ... honestly I still think I really deserved one for this model)

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Neil: I am not sure I am happy you show this to people that really know the aircraft ...

I like to tease my Etendard pilot acquaintance about this antiquated old design ....but like me he thought your model was excellent! He did say though that he thought the intake stripes were absent from Argentine machines..
 _GOTOTOP