Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden's Pfalz D.III in progress ......
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
P.s Give you´r cat my Regards

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:35 AM UTC
Nice to see you back from the dead my friend ! Blue waves his paw back at you
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hey Terri. Take care of yourself. If I was in your situation I don't think posting model pics would be high on my priority list.

Brun Hildr, Sigdrifa, Rota, Ding-a-ling and Boo Boo send their best wishes to you and Blue.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
It's picture up-date time of what has been done so far in the past week . Might not be lots for some , but for me it is . Rather neet coming up with ways on how to things in this scale . I do know that a better selection of scratch building supplies is very much needed .

Also a note on Parts instruction sheet , the instrument dail is up side down . I made the mistake of this and the way I did it , trying to remove it will destroy the dail which I don't have a spare of . Also there is no dail for the fuel tank . I robbed one from the DH-2 kit might not be right , but it is better then having nothing there at all .

Hey Des , found a way for the seat just waitng for the paint to dry .

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
Wow Terri: Really looks good. Are you doing this as a cutaway? You are really going all out on the small details. Turnbuckles on the rudder controls, the gauge line. Top notch.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
No cut away , but the engine cowlings will be off and all excess ports will be open even with their tension springs ! Haven't even started with the rest of the plumbing , fuel lines and filter air lines etc , etc , will be added one by one ! Wait till you see the seat belt attachments !

Thanks Mark ! I may not be a 100% accurate but if I can hit it in the 70 - 80 % will be fair enough for me . Besides it's all about building for fun and sharing with the kinder folks here !
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Teri,

Excellent work! You are now becoming a master of interior rigging as well! Outstanding!

Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Thanks Dwanye , still trying to master the rigging with out getting all tangled up up in in is still a chore

I did get some more work moving forward , had the pic's ...up loading them on to the computer and I ended up deleteing them ( good pills Doc ! )

The oil tank is finished and fixed into place . Seat turn out pretty well , but still messing with the details for the control column . Later tonight after work I will have the pic's up of these items .
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Terri,
The Pfalz is coming along beautifully.Those certainly are some very impressive details you've included in the interior.Outstanding project,and look forward to your next update.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I may not be a 100% accurate but if I can hit it in the 70 - 80 % will be fair enough for me . Besides it's all about building for fun and sharing with the kinder folks here !

You hit the tack on the cranium Terri: It is all about building for fun and sharing. I would say you are hitting a solid 100%!

Looking forward to more pics.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
I still have to remind myself at times that it's only a hobby when frustration sinks in because the carpet monster gets the last PE detailing part you had left ! But a glass of rum will take care of that

Picture time .........here are the photo's redone again . I'm sorry about the lighting thing - no day light !

The control column has some of the detail done . Still left to go are the cables with their attachments . Bow-den cables for the triggers . And more for the locking mecanisme The lock arm is from the Tom's Model Works D.III set for the Pfalz .

The seat did take it's toll with me , but here is the end results . I made a mess with the seat cushion so I used liquid glue and laid that on the top over and over and when the plastic was soft I stabbed it with the brush over and over again until I was happy Holes where drilled for where the buttons would go , using more of the same glue I did the same . The other end of a paint brush was uesd and once again stabbed it the hole to give it some roundness ....Set a side to dry . Using a smaller drill bit this time I went all the way through the holes already there . Very small rivt head where the place in and trim off the bottom of the seat . Tamiya tape for the padding and two coats of Tamiya hull red painted on with the back done in alum .

The oil Tank was made by sandwitching two pieces of 20 thou cand and sanded to shape . The spout was cut from rod and the line to the engine is rod strip as well with washer and PE nuts layered up . Strapping is cut from left over PE frames . I did have a cap , but it popped off when install the tank ..

Well there you are guy's so far ....

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 02:55 PM UTC
This is really looking good Terri:

Your attention to detail and patience is noteworthy. I really admire your ability to stick to it, and continue on with this level of detail.
Keep 'em coming.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
Wait till you see the valve springs and rocker arms
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

I bet your valve springs are just lovely---and your 'rockers' superb . Seriously though, this is coming together very nice indeed--I am following it at Aerodrome also.

Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Thanks Dave ! Here is pic's of the control column installed in the fuselage . I forgot to take pic's of before I went and did this . Bowden cables still needed to be finished off , Throttle cable is also there . Cable wires are plastic rod 3mm with q-tip and twisted wire hoops with the other mounting hard ware from 1/24 scale model car PE parts from a wire and distributor and metal pin's cut from a sewing needle . The throttle grip has fine wire wrap around .

I did have to move the oil tank futher a head . I had it to far back . Next I will continue with the seat and seat belt's and further plumbing will be added . Work on the guns has started . Detials missing from the Part PE set will come from the Toms Model Work line . Now off I go to make a fuel filter !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:28 PM UTC
Absolutely stunning work Terri.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC

Great work, Terri. The detail you're putting in is stunning.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:52 PM UTC
Great work Terri !! I have to say that you have come a very long way in a short time with your building camera skills. Model On!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
You are so very skilled and precise in your builds. I am amazed. I know you prefer quarter scale, but 32nd is a perfect canvas for your artistic skills.

What is your modeling and art background? Where did you learn how to do all these wonderful things with plastic?

Wow
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
( Blushing ) Gee guy's , shucks - Thank - you so much for the kind words

Carl , you guy's are great teachers ! I stated when I was just a little girl watching my Brothers and Uncles . I would pester them with questions , they would get mad with me and kick me out . One day one of my Uncles hands me a kit of my own so I would stop with the questioning and that just created even more questions . I had some pretty long breaks in between though . I really got back into when I found this wonderful site and I'm hooked big time !

Cheers to all !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
It will be some time before the next up-date , have to turn my attention over to my WNW build and the two seater campaign .

However ; watch this space for the next installment brought to you by Pfalz Girl !
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:52 AM UTC
Terri,
Outstanding work on your Pfalz.Love those details.I'll be looking forward to the next update.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
Thanks Gregory
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:44 PM UTC
Excellent work Terri - every time I look in here it just keeps getting better and better.
Hope to see more photos soon.

Des.
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
Terri -
All I can say is WOW! - you really do beautiful work.
Will be eagerly waiting for more pics soon. Ron