_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
It's finished , It's finished ......
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 03:20 PM UTC
Well for me it is . After dropping it myself and the lovely blue the cat knocked it off the self twice now (losing the orginal prop ). This one is out of the spare box which I don't think is the right one for this airframe.

I do have have to re make the step and hand holds which I will do some time in the future . Along with the exhuast . Have it snap off when I dropped it during assembly .

Over all it wasn't a bad build , I'm not overly happy with the results on this one . I should have done the detailing I guess . Any way hope you guy's enjoy it
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
Well, Terri, it seems a highly unorthodox method, but...I think I'll drop my next bi-plane several times, and see if it looks as good as yours in the end. Seriously, with three "dead-stick" trips under its belt, I think it looks great! Your finish is certainly looking great, and if only the handholds and prop broke, it's a testiment to your building talents.

Cheers,
Mike
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC
Not a bad turn of events. It did turn out better than some I have seen. I don't think you did a bad job at all. Plumb and square. Save the next on for more details. Model On!
Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
Well Terri, for all the abuse it copped while being built, it turned out a pretty good-looker. I really like that colour scheme too.

Even if it isn't correct, the laminated wooden propeller looks great! A very nice paint-job on that. Nice fine rigging on the undercart too.

The last one of these I built was the old Revell 1/72 kit...about 1976. One of my favourite of the German WWI fighter types...Pfalz and Albatros being the others. I wouldn't look twice at a Dr.I though!

If I didn't already have a stash that I'll never live long enough to build, I'd have one or two of these...but in 1/48, I think. My eyesight's getting too bad now for 1/72 biplanes!

Nice work!

Tim.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Nicely done!! What scale?
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
Teri,

Great job on a bird that resisted being finished. My shelf has its share of casualties that
never returned to the work bench. If they ever make it back I hope they turn out as good
as yours.

Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
Thanks MJ , I did have to patch the lozenge around a few of the strut attachment points . It was hard cutting out the tiny little weird shape thingie me bob bees !

Well Stephen not totally plum and square ! If you notice the lower wing has dia , which it shouldn't and the tail support struts I could not get them lined right one is off . And it sit's funny ! Thank-you though for the words of encouragment

Glad you like Tim ! Hanging around the guy's has paid off in ways

Well Bill it's 48 scale . I do have a build log on this , lost some where now .

Thanks Dwayne , I still have a few box up which need repairs do to my four legged friend from past adventures of mischiffed . Gotta love them though ! He is still my baby
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Good job Terri.
I like your DVII.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
Thank -you Louis !
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC

Great job, Terri. What did you think of the engine and horizontal stabilizer fit?

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Compaired to the last build I did it was easier getting the engine lined up with out all the frame work . The cowl panels have to be in the right postion for this to happen . If one sits to high or low the whole thing is off then .

The fit of the tail section needs sanding on top fuselage and the hinge tabs don't line up with the rudder . I was going to redo the rudder but I just wanted a simple build with out a lot of work . But that could have been my own doing with the fit of the rudder . The Tail control also needs careful sanding to get it to fit with the hinge slots opened up more .
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Nice build, Terri. I really like the propeller. How do you get the laminated effect so well with paint? There must be a 'how to' post somewhere, but you have done a great job here. Good pictures. Thanks,
Matt
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
Yes, it turned out really good. Very good lozenge and propeller. My congratulations, hope to see it in the MOM contest.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks Michal and Matt !

Michal , I will not be entering it in MOM , but thanks for the suggestion .

Matt , the prop was painted using acrylics . I really try and stay away from the oils . If I remember on this one I used Vallejo natural wood as the base , only one coat . Then it was clear coated with future . Once dried masking tape was laid down and Tamiya hull red was brush on , followed by a coat of future tinted with a very small drop of Tamiya clear yellow . then sealed again with future . I'm sure there is another step in there but can't recall . Really don't write these down very offen . I have a few more in the parts bin already painted as well
. Was bored one day and it was a great way to practice the wood grainning .
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
looks good Terri!!
bizarro1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts