Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1:72 Fw200 Condor
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi guys. This is my 2nd ever build, so i would be grateful for all comments / advices / help etc which would help me to improve myself. My main reason for modeling is to have fun. Pure and simple. The biggest problems i face are the lack of modeling supplies and of course, fellow modelers. At times i have to make do with locally available materials. As a result, my build may not be as good as many of the ones i see here, but i am happy with my efforts and will always strive to improve my skills.

I found a "hobby store" of sorts nearby and pick up my supplies from there. They only stock Revell products. I use Revell's Enamel paints, locally available
acrylics and oils. I manage to convince a pal of mine to get me some stuff from US - that explains the presence of Tamiya adhesive on my "workbench" And yes, as i can't find an airbrush here, i have no choice but to hand paint
Enough of this, onwards to the actual build

Firstly my last project - Revell 1:72 Vickers Wellington.

This pic also shows my "workbench" which also doubles as my dining table
PS: The F15 in the background - that project is "temporarily" abandoned.

1. The Front office of the Condor.

As you can notice, the interior colors are wrong. This was the closest shade i had .

2. The front office installed in position.

3. The Rear crew compartment

4. Installed in place

5. The great engine assembly line

6. Post installation on the wings
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
Raj,

This is looking very good, and pretty incredible for your 2nd build!

If I can offer some painting advice: it looks like the paint may be going on a bit thick in places. You can thin the paint with enamel thinner to get it to brush on more smoothly- it will achieve a better finish, even if it requires two or three coats to cover evenly.

In some places it looks like you have been dry-brushing with black paint. This is a good technique for bringing out details, and for adding wear. You could try doing a wash of dark brown or brown mixed with the base colour (thin down some paint, or use an ink or wash product designed specifically for the task), and instead of dry-brushing a dark colour, use a lighter shade the base colour.

On the instruments, if you start with a dark grey (to represent black, taking into account 'scale-effect'), you can use pure black to represent shading (as a wash into the crevices), and then after that is dry, dry-brush the instruments with a mid-grey to bring out all the details. If you have a fine enough brush, you can paint the instrument needles and scales in white. Adding coloured surrounds to a few dials or sections of dials, can make them look more interesting. If I don't have references to hand, I just make it up...!

Keep on posting photos, and I'm sure you'll get good advice from the other members. Never be afraid to ask questions. It looks like you already have a lot of the skills needed to make great models, the rest is mostly just learning techniques and tricks to get effects.
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
First of all thank you for replying.

Quoted Text

Raj,

If I can offer some painting advice: it looks like the paint may be going on a bit thick in places. You can thin the paint with enamel thinner to get it to brush on more smoothly- it will achieve a better finish, even if it requires two or three coats to cover evenly.

I experimented with rectified turpentine and mineral spirit for the thinning part. The mineral spirit was the better of the two. But i will keep your advice in mind for the future painting.

Quoted Text

In some places it looks like you have been dry-brushing with black paint. This is a good technique for bringing out details, and for adding wear. You could try doing a wash of dark brown or brown mixed with the base colour (thin down some paint, or use an ink or wash product designed specifically for the task), and instead of dry-brushing a dark colour, use a lighter shade the base colour.

I'm on it

Quoted Text

Keep on posting photos, and I'm sure you'll get good advice from the other members. Never be afraid to ask questions. It looks like you already have a lot of the skills needed to make great models, the rest is mostly just learning techniques and tricks to get effects.

I will post as and when i make some progress. Right now my job is keeping me real busy. I have been a silent observer here and almost every method that i've used on the model so far have come from the members here. And i'm sure there is lots more to learn from everybody here.
Cheers
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC
Nice going Raj. It puts our debates about whether this paint is better that paint in perspective when you have to use what you can get! I feel a little spoilt now.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Steve
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Looking good so far. Have you tried buying online yet? There are many good online stores selling a much wider variety than Revell. I would recommend Hannants (they do a good paint range in enamel and acrylic) here in the UK and HLJ of Japan. I've had no problems with either so far.
If your happy with Revell, I would recommend the following 1/72 planes - Spitfire VB, FW190A or F, Hurricane MkII (any of them), Hunter Mk6 or Mk9 (especially nice!) and HE177.
Also if you want nice kits at a reasonable price, Academy and Hobby Boss aren't bad. Hobby Boss are simple kits (good fun to make) but the exterior detailing is good considering.
thanks
Mike
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far. Have you tried buying online yet? There are many good online stores selling a much wider variety than Revell. I would recommend Hannants (they do a good paint range in enamel and acrylic) here in the UK and HLJ of Japan. I've had no problems with either so far.
If your happy with Revell, I would recommend the following 1/72 planes - Spitfire VB, FW190A or F, Hurricane MkII (any of them), Hunter Mk6 or Mk9 (especially nice!) and HE177.
Also if you want nice kits at a reasonable price, Academy and Hobby Boss aren't bad. Hobby Boss are simple kits (good fun to make) but the exterior detailing is good considering.
thanks
Mike

Thanks for your reply. Regarding online ordering, i checked out Greatmodels, Hannants and HLJ. Out of the three, Hannants is working out to be the costliest and HLJ the cheapest. I have placed a small order with HLJ to check IF it will even reach here or not

Regarding you recommendation - I flew to Bahrain the other day [yes, sadly my nearest "hobby store" in is a different country more than 2000 miles away ] and i picked up :

He177 A-5
He177 A-6
Bf109 K-4
Hurricane Mk IIC
Spitfire Mk V

All are 1:72 Revell kits. This should keep me busy for the next few months

Progress of the Fw200:

I finally closed the fuselage, attached the wings and the lower gondola. I am sorry i don't have any pics of it yes as my camera is throwing tantrums. Will update here soon

Cheers
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
First of all, i would like to apologise for this ling absence. I was busy with work and for the last 2 weeks, busy with the Flu

I followed the advice given here and ordered some tools from HLJ. The best thing is that my package arrived in 4 days. As far the model goes, i managed to close up the fuselage, attach the wings. Am presently working on the main gears and the masking of the canopies. I will be more regular in my updates from now on.....the workload at work has dropped a bit you see

As usual ALL comments / advices are welcome
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
OK guys, a small update. The painting phase has begun. Managed to paint the underside in RLM 65. Giving it a day or to to dry before i tackle the upperside. Also completed was the canopy masking - at the cost of 3 fingers cut

iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Well the build has suffered a temporary setback. As i am using Misterkit RLM colors, i am waiting for a package to arrive with some acrylic thinners. And that package has been held up in customs for the last 9 days

So while i was waiting for the package, i started this to kill the time.

This is a Revell 1/72 kit. This is such a nice plane to build, before i knew it, i reached the painting stage . I am using a lot of new method in this particular build. Hope to learn some new tricks by the end of it.

Cheers

TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Raj how is the FW progressing?
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Raj how is the FW progressing?

Hey Toumas

The FW production is stopped for the time being as all the workers in my factory [aka me] are on strike

Well, i've not been keeping well for the last month or so and have another 3 weeks of treatment / medication to go. So hopefully, i can restart and finish the condor next year - preferably in Jan itself.

Cheers
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC
You've made some nice progress on both. I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
 _GOTOTOP