_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:72 Fokker E.V
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
I have been working on this for the last week and have finally gotten around to posting a couple in progress shots. Pics aren't the greatest, so I appologize in advance.
I was disappointed by the lack luster office in this kit so I decided to scratch build some details to make it a bit busier. I have no references for this aircraft so I used some of the builds shown here for inspiration. I used some styrene strips to simulate the triangular wood panels on the cockpit walls. I also decided mid build that the seam in the floor was horrible looking so I slapped down a piece of .010 styrene. I added some very fine stretched sprue for rudder cables and a thick bit to simulate the compass. I also used some more stretched sprue to make some of the missing frame work the is behind the seat and the seat supports themselves. If I had thought ahead I would have made the bulkhead behind the seat, but it won't be missed much. I also hand painted some halfassed lozenge on the cockpit walls. If I was smart I would have realized that I was going to have left over Loz. decals from the tail, that would have been better and faster, but I am on a learning curve here. I made a parachute/seat pad from some milliput and built a tinsy harness from some receipt paper and some more really fine stretched sprue. There has also been a liberal application of the pin vise and a #80 bit to open up the mg barrels and sights and the carb intakes. More later.

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
Looking great Mike!

I've got a couple of WWI kits in the pipeline in 1/72 scale, so it is nice to have some inspiration. Was the seat really covered in lozenge fabric like that? Seat belts and buckles look good- I know how hard it is when they are this small!

I'll be watching your progress!
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 09:36 PM UTC
Wow now I know what to upholster my armchair with. Now to find a source of 1:1 lozenge fabric.
Any ideas folks?
Great work with that little fokker. Once I clear the decks of my current builds it'll be ww1 builds
all next year. Salamander, Camel, Spad 13, Fokker Dr1, D.7x3. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 01:02 AM UTC
Nicely done Mike !

Ben , yes the back and front of the seat are cover in lozenge. The seats are stamp froma piece of alum with the fabric dope to the surface . Only the vertical parts were covered .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC
Yes but the lozenge was only one piece one the inner face of the uppright back. Not a big deal as no one will see the back of the seat.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
Stephen, good to know for the future. So I take it that the aluminum on the outside surfaces of the seat were left bare then?

This kit came with 4 decal options; Erich Lowenhardt, Theo Osterkamp (the undecorated one he is photographed with) and postwar Dutch or Polish airforces. I am doing Lowenhardt's aircraft. I know he died (in a D.VII) not long after these reached the front, did he actually use this aircraft or is this also a scheme with little documentation?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, good to know for the future. So I take it that the aluminum on the outside surfaces of the seat were left bare then?

This kit came with 4 decal options; Erich Lowenhardt, Theo Osterkamp (the undecorated one he is photographed with) and postwar Dutch or Polish airforces. I am doing Lowenhardt's aircraft. I know he died (in a D.VII) not long after these reached the front, did he actually use this aircraft or is this also a scheme with little documentation?

Yes the fabric was sewn into the seat back periphery through about 200 eyelets. The backside of the back support was left natural metal. Now let me guess - they say Löwenhardt's machine has black and white stripes with a fuselage band that has a a white wavy line through it? Sorry not his machine. Though he did go over to Jasta 6 (from his unit Jasta 10) and evidently test flew this aircraft.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
Very nice!!

Cheers Nick
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the fabric was sewn into the seat back periphery through about 200 eyelets. The backside of the back support was left natural metal. Now let me guess - they say Löwenhardt's machine has black and white stripes with a fuselage band that has a a white wavy line through it? Sorry not his machine. Though he did go over to Jasta 6 (from his unit Jasta 10) and evidently test flew this aircraft.

Thats exactly what it claims. A bit of a downer, but I am not suprised, as I haven't found any connection between Lowenhardt and the E.V aside from the test flight you mentioned. So did an aircraft with this scheme exist, or is it fantasy. If it was real, regardless of pilot I will proceed as planned. If its bogus, I may do the aircraft Osterkamp was photographed with.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow now I know what to upholster my armchair with. Now to find a source of 1:1 lozenge fabric.
Any ideas folks?

I can't remember where I saw/read it, but most likelyaround here somwhere. There is/was a company printing lozenge fabric for museum restorations and replica builds. I recall somthing like $50 a yard
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats exactly what it claims. A bit of a downer, but I am not suprised, as I haven't found any connection between Lowenhardt and the E.V aside from the test flight you mentioned. So did an aircraft with this scheme exist, or is it fantasy. If it was real, regardless of pilot I will proceed as planned. If its bogus, I may do the aircraft Osterkamp was photographed with.

Not Bogus definately a Jasta 6 machine photographe in late Aug. 1918 at Bernes with other E.V and Fokker D.VII aircraft of that unit.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Wow now I know what to upholster my armchair with. Now to find a source of 1:1 lozenge fabric. Any ideas folks?. . ."

Yes fellow by the name of Ross Walton does full sized lozenge for replica aircraft. Either in aircraft grade cotton or "Ceconite". I think he advertises in "Over the Front."
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the verification Stephen.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 04:42 PM UTC
Here is an update on the progress. I recently rejoined the ranks of the employed so modelling time has taken a hit, but I am slugging on. The interior was assembled and the major assemblys were primed with a Light grey enamel. I painted the wings in accordance with the more recent research I found on this site The engine was also painted and given a dark oil wash. I then applied the lozenge decals, and I must say, Rodens decals are lacking, to say the least( non PC... they suck out loud). The colors on the lozenge are too bright and may be toned down later on. They were also quite fragile, and didn't turn out to good on the upper surface of the fuselage, but That has as much to do with me as with the decals. The Balken kreuz were out of register to, as are the roundels of the roden SE5a that recently joined the stash. I then gave it several coats of future so i can mask off and paint the white base and black stripes on the tail. I think it should have done that before decaling, but I got excited. I have a couple other things that need some white , so this will wait til i can shoot them all at once.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 05:04 PM UTC
Excellent progress and the underside of the wing is great!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Very nicely done indeed Mike ! looking great so far on this tiny project . Nice to see more of the 72 scale builds on line .

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is an update on the progress. I recently rejoined the ranks of the employed

..painstaking work..nicely done..and congratulations on landing the job !
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
Excellent looking plane this will be! Even though it is a bit colourful, I think it is very cool looking. Thanks for the update, and good luck!
This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP