_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden Lozenge Decals
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
Is it just me, or are the Roden lozenge decals very difficult to work with? I've read the posts about other Roden decals and their challenges. I've been trying to finish my first DVII and its about driven me to distraction. The decals are exceedingly fragile, they do not adhere to the surface, do not conform to the details and flake off at every opportunity.
I've been using a variety of solvents on them, MicroSol, Solvaset, etc. with no success. Last tried to use Future to adhere to the surface and got crazy white spots everywhere.
Anyone have a trick to doing this or should I scrap the lot?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
PVA (School) glue & distilled water (50/50 mix.)
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it just me, or are the Roden lozenge decals very difficult to work with? I've read the posts about other Roden decals and their challenges. I've been trying to finish my first DVII and its about driven me to distraction. The decals are exceedingly fragile, they do not adhere to the surface, do not conform to the details and flake off at every opportunity.
I've been using a variety of solvents on them, MicroSol, Solvaset, etc. with no success. Last tried to use Future to adhere to the surface and got crazy white spots everywhere.
Anyone have a trick to doing this or should I scrap the lot?

That's been my experience too. I finally threw in the towel and went to aftermarket decals.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:21 PM UTC
Before there was Microsculpt we did with what we had. Here are the Roden lozenge decals.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:54 PM UTC
Yep, also used it on my first Fokker D.VII ... lots of Daco red and pressure and swearing ... luckily I did Loerzer (only needs upper wings lower surface and lower wings upper surface .. so I had some spares)

Maybe try applying it with Future .. not yet tested by me (but I did with other decals)

all the best

Steffen
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
I feel better now knowing it is not just me and my limited skills. What is the best aftermarket supplier for the lozenge? Or does that open up another can of worms?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Microsculpt is the best out there http://www.microsculpt.com/ He has the four colour upper, lower and the five colour upper and lower lozenge .
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
So I just ordered a set from Mircrosculpt. Now, one more question. What is the best way to remove the lozenge decals that I have managed to hammer down so far? Arrgh.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
When I had that problem, I removed the old decals using tape. Just stick the tape to the lozenge and pull it off sharply. Masking tape worked for me, but if yours stuck well, you might need to use something stickier, like duct tape.

The microsculpt decals are fabulous. I was very, very happy with their ease of use and how they ended up looking when finished. I will use them on every lozenge build in the future.

Good luck
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestion. I am really looking forward to a different experience with the MIcrosculpt decals. After the pain of the Roden set, almost anything else will be appreciated.
Now, where did I put that duct tape?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
You won't have any trouble working with Micro sculpt decals . They are easy to work with and are thin , but stretch well to confrom over the surface . Follow his on line instructions and you can't wrong . Be careful on how much microsol you use though . It can make a real mess out of them . I used them on my Fokker D.VII featured here and in Micro sculpts gallery . Any questions or trouble you are having just ask
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC
Let us know how it works out for you.
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 11:31 PM UTC
I'm waiting for Microsculpt to bring them out in 1/32. There is room for the WNW lozenge to be improved on.
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
The Microsculpt decals arrived the other day. I received a nice note from the owners apologizing for the delay in sending them, but have been so busy with work that I had no free time to notice.
I have a question for the group, how do you make rigging tape? I am loathe to use the samples I received with the Roden set, anticipating that they will be just as much trouble as the rest of the sheet was. Any suggestions?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Tom is top notch ! Glad to here your decals arrived

You have a few options that you can choose .If you rather buy them . techmod has them in 48 scale upper and lower . Eduard has them as well . I know Great Models has the Eduards ones , but not sure on the Techmod .

Painting your own is another on clear tape or Tamiya tape .

Spraying decal paper the colours need . Testors has a decal system . decal paper in white or clear and then a spray ( decal film ) which is applyed after the paint is dried .

You can also spray Rodens decals with a gloss coat of lacquer . Let this dry for an hour before using .

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .I have a question for the group, how do you make rigging tape? I am loathe to use the samples I received with the Roden set, anticipating that they will be just as much trouble as the rest of the sheet was. Any suggestions?"

Do you mean rib tapes?
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
Yes, I meant rib tapes.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
The best method so far (and that may change by next year) is to use a steel ruler and a sharp Xacto #11 chucked into a tool handle. With the Microsculpt lozenge gloss coat them first and let dry thoroughly.Slice the Microsculpt lozenge in very narrow strips according to scale. Each slice or strip should require several light cut strokes with the razor knife as not to curl them. Use Microsculpt strips / tapes with Microsculpt lozenge. Use very warm water.

With the Roden lozenge use them as mentioned above. But use Roden strips / tapes with Roden lozenge. If you need more Roden lozenge I have some sheets i can spare.
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The best method so far (and that may change by next year) is to use a steel ruler and a sharp Xacto #11 chucked into a tool handle. . .Each slice or strip should require several light cut strokes with the razor knife as not to curl them.

Another tool option is a rotary cutter. It has a (very) sharp-edged wheel mounted in a handle. Advantage is that the blade is pressed down on the decal not dragged along it, so curling is not a problem. My wife is a quilter and she uses one for cutting fabric. Its one of the few times when I get to use one of *her* tools

Happy Modelling
James
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... gloss coat them first and let dry thoroughly.Slice the Microsculpt lozenge in very narrow strips according to scale...

What is the purpose of gloss coating them first?
 _GOTOTOP