_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Paul Baumer's Albatros D.V Jasta 5
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 03:48 PM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It may seem I have a one track mind and who am I to argue. Actually a friend asked me to build him a model of this machine and i obliged. To be honest, there wasn't much arm twisting involved.

This is the Eduard kit #1111 in 1/48 scale with most of the photo etch from the kit fret added. There are one or two homemade add ons as well. The entire kit was brush painted accept for the markings. The forward fuselage has the latest incarnation of my wood grain technique applied.

The usual suspects were involved, mono-filament and guitar string rigging and a Microscale dull coat airbrushed on to finish it off.

Patiently awaiting the Wingnuts Albatros D V. which I hope comes with five color lozenge.

Regards, Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 06:37 PM UTC
Nicely done Dwayne! Do you know why the fuselage was a two toned red?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
Excellent build Dwayne
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
Thanks Teri. I wish I could keep pace with your production and the quality of your work!

Stephen, my understanding is there are several theories for the two tones. One states that there were previous markings on the fuselage of Baumers D V. . The two tones may have resulted from a single thin layer of paint to cover up the previous markings which didn't completely do the job. Another theory is that two seperate colors were applied. There is a good clear photo of the port side of this machine that clearly shows two tones and one of the tones looks like a band in which the Edelweiss was painted. The actual colors are conjecture I'm afraid but there have been many attempts to solve this mystery. I chose the one I like best. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it!

Regards, Dwayne
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
That looks great. This is one of two aircraft I am hoping are decal options in the WNW kit.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Beauty!
 _GOTOTOP