Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Close Air Support Campaign proposal
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hello All,
According to official Documents all 3 Aircraft were classified as Fighter-Bomber.
The FW-190 F class was redesigned to be Fighter-Bomber's primarily, That to say they could fight other planes and bomb other targets.
The Typhoon was also redesigned as a Fighter-Bomber as the RAF need a primary ground attack Aircraft in Northern Europe. It could also be used as a Fighter.

So either one could be called CAS Planes, But I think we are getting away from the what this campaign is about. It is about Planes that's primary job is to support the ground troops, Like the Stuka, SBD, A-10, Mohawk and the AC-130. It is also to take you out of what you normally build and to model something different.
I have built some Spitfires, Mustangs Tanks, Ships and a Bomber. So this is going to get my away from my comfort zone and try something different.
I think that we need to rethink some of the rules, I know the moans and groans are starting.

I think that maybe that the only Planes allowed are the ones that were built to do Close Support of the troops in a combat area and leave out the redesigned ones.
There must be enough models out their to support such a campaign.

I am not trying to get anyone angry or mad at me or criticize any of your proposed builds, But I think that all of us need to be shaken out of our comfort zone every so often. It ,I think, Will make us a better modeler when we try new types of models to build.
To all of you that did all that research, Good job. It made me rethink this whole campaign
All of this is IMHO and no way reflects Jim in any way.
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
Im not going to disagree with what Bruce has said..comfort zones sometimes need to be left behind, and as Ive said...if those involved in the campaign REALLY REALLY want to build a particular plane thats ok , but I think there is as much fun in doing the research and trying new things , as there is in the actual building aspect. I like the idea of keeping it CAS ..there certainly are plenty of subjects out there..no one has recommended the Super Cobra yet
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Good points from both of you, Bruce and Jim. Well, a Stuka for this campaign it is then.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
Sonuds good,Jesper..I came within inches of doing an early war(albiet tired airframe) Stuka ..Hasegawa/airies combo would look REALLY good..
My Trumpy Hind arrived in the mail today ..I got my Verlinden intirior last week...Im all set to rock n roll....
this thing is MASSIVE!..im going to have to find a LHS to adopt it once its built ..lol
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hello All,
I agree with Jim, If you really want to build a certain plane and it fits in the rules go for it.
On the other hand, If you want to stretch out of your normal zone, Try something you would never do, See where it goes and have fun with it..
I am doing a old Monogram 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II. Now I just need to figure out where to get the AM Parts I will need such as: Decals, Cockpit controls and Instruments, Ejection Seat, Weapons, etc. Anybody know where I can start with the items I need to find? If you do, Let me know.
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am doing a old Monogram 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II. Now I just need to figure out where to get the AM Parts I will need such as: Decals, Cockpit controls and Instruments, Ejection Seat, Weapons, etc. Anybody know where I can start with the items I need to find? If you do, Let me know.
Cheers,
Bruce

Roll Models (very fine and helpful people to deal with )...has True Details intirior set (TD 48515)for $6.75 USD
Aires also makes a good intirior set (4348) designed for Italeri kit.
Go the the Bare-metal foil website they have a brand of decal sheets"experts choice"..sheet number 48-29 for markings of Myrtle Beach A-10s..$6.50 USD
Italeri makes a set(26001) that does up the gatling gun and bay, engine,insturment panel,and wheels..but its expensive...sugg. list is $55.00 USD
Black Box (48010) makes a good intirior set specifically for the Monogram kit
Royale resin makes some good looking wheels for $5.99 USD
The Aircraft Resource center has lots of stuff for the A-10
Ill keep looking for weapons sets Bruce..
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go the the Bare-metal foil website they have a brand of decal sheets"experts choice"..sheet number 48-29 for markings of Myrtle Beach A-10s..$6.50 USD

I had a brother-in-law once that spent 4 years turning wrenches on the A-10s at Myrtle Beach. He got me in on several tours of the base and up close to the hogs.

Anyhoo......I've narrowed down whats in the stash to two candidates. One is the A-1J Skyraider by Tamiya. Number 2 is the IL-2 Sturmovik by Edward.

Hermon
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 01:05 PM UTC
Both would be excellent choices Hermon! I love the lines on the Big Iron(Skyraider)...it is pure power!!
Ive seen some really well done Sturmovicks .....the winter camo can be really fun..
The one trip I made to the US was to Myrtle beach( we just kinda got in the car and started driving...thats where we ended up..) the A-10s were everywhere......it was a very strange experience to see so much military presence..
endrju007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi,
I prommised Jim some banners, so here they are: you can chose one to represent the campaign or use all of them at will.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS1.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS2.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS3.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS4.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS5.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/andrzejsnigorski/CAS/CAS6.jpg

Jim, I hope you like'em. If you want something else or to change anything on these here - just PM me.

A.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Cool...many thanks!..now I just have to figure out how to attach one to my posts!..lol
endrju007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool...many thanks!..now I just have to figure out how to attach one to my posts!..lol

You're welcome! If you ever need anything else - you know where to find me

Concerning attaching banner: it is as simple as breathing, mate! Copy the link to banner you like, go to "my account" section, than to "Modify Profile", than paste the link to "URL for Signature Image:" box. Save changes and Bob is your uncle

Andrzej
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
thanks again for all your help!...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Excellent banners, Andrzej! Looks really cool.

I have changed my mind again after getting the Revell Skyraider at an incredible low price from Hannants. I think it is a reboxing of the old Esci kit. The weapon stores might need to be changed for some Hasegawa stores in my spares box, but otherwise looks OK.

I might still go back and do the Stuka anyway or maybe both

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
Very nice score Jesper!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im not going to disagree with what Bruce has said..comfort zones sometimes need to be left behind, and as Ive said...if those involved in the campaign REALLY REALLY want to build a particular plane thats ok , but I think there is as much fun in doing the research and trying new things , as there is in the actual building aspect. I like the idea of keeping it CAS ..there certainly are plenty of subjects out there..no one has recommended the Super Cobra yet

You guys got me thinking. My comfort zone is mainstream single engine WW11 fighters and in the past I very rarely strayed from there. Joining a few campaigns on Aeroscale has given me the drive to try some other designs, and so along that line I found a 1/48 Mohawk at a good price at the LHS, same kit as Tim earlier in the thread, so I might just give that a whirl.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:16 PM UTC
I did some research and there isnt many planes just designed from the ground up to be CAS aircraft on the american side so in an effort not to copy anyone im at a loss. I dont have an A-10
in my collection but this is the way im leaning .......... .....IM SO LOST....

Build On,
Justin
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
how about if we all start compiling a list of candidate aircraft?
Hawker Typhoon,
A-10 Thunderbolt II
attack helicopters
Henschel
Stuka
Tweet
Skyraider
Sopwith Salamander
Puff the magic dragon
Im sure theres more..
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
HI all
Grumman Mohawk
Su 25 Frogfoot
Harrier
Strikemaster
Predator?

tim
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Henschel

Both hs 123 and hs 129
Gotha Go 145 (does this qualify?)
Fokker C.V
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Just a few ideas; Mig 23BM, Mig 27, Su 7,17,22, A-4 Skyhawk, F111, F117, F105. All in my stash, I suppose I still have alot of time to decide.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:34 PM UTC
justin,if you are looking for an american designed aircraft,how about the TWEET?...Im sure you could do up an AMAZING looking one..
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
TWEET Pic

Evil mutant ninja Cessna
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:55 AM UTC
yeahhh.......way cool looking
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
In the end, what was the general consensus on the F-15E strike eagle ...is it a go or no?

Hermann
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
No Problem Herman, Id prefer to see it done as a Gulf War airframe, but you decide what is best..