_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Microsculpt Lozenge Decals
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'd like to thank those that responded to my post about the Roden Lozenge decals who recommended replacing them with the Microsculpt offerings. I received them last week and have been pleased with the results. I am new to WWI aircraft and this is my first attempt at lozenge since I was 14 years old, and didn't care what the result looked like.
In stark contrast to the Roden decals, the Microsculpt went on very easily, conformed to the detail quickly and well and nestled down with a coat of Solveset.
I have only completed the top surfaces, but the difference between the two experiences was immediately apparent.
Thanks for the suggestion.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
Excellent Mike ! Glad to here that you had a great experience with the lozenge .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Glad you liked them. Are you going to try the texture?
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:17 PM UTC
as for the texture, one step at a time. I am still girding up my courage for the rib tapes.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
I think the rib tapes are the hardest part of the decal stage. Lining all those little suckers up straight is time consuming. I like to split them up over a few days if I can. But when you are done, and see all the colors on your aircraft, it is really worth the work. You can put the texture on right over the rib tapes if you so desire. This is probably a bad time to mention this, but be sure to check the direction of the lozenge in adjoining runs with your references. Sometimes the direction of the lozenge changes and sometimes they all go the same way. Be sure to check out Stephen's Lozenge 101 for a better explanation..

These lozenge covered aircraft are unique to this relatively short era of aircraft. Modelers of other eras never experience the type of work that goes into applying these lozenge and rib tape decals, but they also never experience the satisfaction of completing one of these beautiful aircraft. I would do almost nothing but lozenge covered aircraft if the market selection was greater. Thanks to Wingnuts, I pretty much know what I will be working on for the next few years. D.Vs and D.VIIs after finishing the LVG .

We would love to see some pictures.
 _GOTOTOP