_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Size of rings on a Camel's roundels?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi,
I've had a request for masks for a Sopwith Camel, I believe that I have the overal size but what I require is the size of each of the seperate rings? I also believe that the roundel on the lower wing was devoid of its outer white ring, is this correct?
Thanks in advance.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I've had a request for masks for a Sopwith Camel, I believe that I have the overal size but what I require is the size of each of the seperate rings? I also believe that the roundel on the lower wing was devoid of its outer white ring, is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

The Camel was manufactured by several companies. But the cockades remained uniquely constant. I'll send you some info. Also the British WWI Cockade was without the white border until about May 1917. the standing application was to have the white border only on the upper surfaces. Though there were exceptions as photos show.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen,
I have read that the cockades, on RFC Machines, were not to any standard sizes, but painted on to fit the area to which they were applied. That sort of makes sense, so it does come as a little surprising those different manufacturers applied them to the same size. Maybe it was Sopwith who standardise them when the info went to other manufacturers? The fact that they were pretty consistent is good info for possible later request for masks

All Information greatly received.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Mal, Check your gmail for some fun.
 _GOTOTOP