_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
What's the Best 1:72 Bristol F.2b kit?
modlbldralex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
Salutations!

I'd like to find out what public opinion is about who makes the best 1:72 Bristol F.2b kit. Airfix? Roden? Pegasus?

Cheers,
Alex
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
Alex
I've not built the Roden kit but the Airfix is 30 something years old and Pegasus are short run and can need quite a bit of clean up and detailing. Roden kits can be difficult but level of detail and marking options are much better than the other two options.

Mike
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
Depending on how much time and effort you are will to but into the build . All three kits mentioned need some work . Airfix is a good starting point but the kit is very basic with the detail but will yeild a nice looking model out of the box . The Pegasus kit has fine surface detail but Like mike has said it is short run so lots of clean up and test fitting of the parts are need . You will have to make some of the struts your self out of the contrail stock in the kit . This is week stuff and brass will suit that better . Details are in white mental but lots of scratchbuilding in the cockpit . Rodens kit should be treated as a short run kit , lot's of fit issues but has better detail the the other two and more decal options . For detailing parts Eduard has PE seats and seat belts in 72 scale as well as lacing and stitiching , control horns and turnbuckles . Part of Poland has this as well . I do believe they have a 72 scale PE set just like their 48 counter parts .
Replacements guns you can get from Aeroclub and Copper State Models has guns , instrutments and other ideas in 72 scale for detailing .
 _GOTOTOP