_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Tornado F.3 Completed (images)
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
This is the 1/72nd Hasegawa Tornado F.3 in RSAF service. Desert Storm, 1991.

Painted with XTRACOLOUR Enamels. Decals are by Decals Carpena. No other aftermarket items used.

This series of Tornado's that Hasegawa released in the late 80's still holds up well to the newer releases. Though the kit does have it's faults and some minor inaccuracies it builds to an impressive jet. In 1/72nd it is a nice size model sitting next to an F-14.

Reading some older reviews on this kit mentions the nose to fuselage join with a slight step. It's there alright. The cockpit did not have the usual decal console or instruments that Hasegawa will normally do in this scale. They were raised and with the usual knob and switches. How accurate they were for this particular version I will admit I did not check into it. But comparing the cockpit to the GR.1 shows some difference between the 2 types of aircraft and their particular missions. I used the kit seats since I would leave the canopy closed.

Very little weathering was applied, just the usual hydraulic leaks under the airframe. The RSAF kept their aircraft pretty clean, at least the photo's I've seen. The RSAF F.3's flew CAP there primary mission. The F-15's actually flew more combat mission in which one aircraft acutally shot down 2 Iraqi fighters during the war. Like the RAF F.3's most of the Tornado ADV's saw little action.

Kit was purchased at Pegasus Hobbies in Montclair, Ca. I've had this kit for several years as it's stable mate, RAF GR.1 is nearing completion. I fig at least 2 hours overall to complete (spread out several weeks among other projects).

Fly Navy!

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:00 PM UTC
That is a real beauty uscusn. Very neat paint and it is a nice change to see a tornado finished in Saudi livery. Just one thing I noticed, the box photo shows a pitot tube extending forward of the radome but you haven't included it, I don't have any reference photos of the F.3 so I'm not sure if they have the pitot tube still there as in the original ADV. Just wondered what you think?
Martin
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
Nice bird. Love the decals.

Maybe somebody who knows something about these things can tell me why the missiles on the fuselage underside are offset like they are. Just seems odd and I've never seen that before.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe somebody who knows something about these things can tell me why the missiles on the fuselage underside are offset like they are.

They're offset because the narrowness of the fuselage didn't permit un-staggered mounting. The wings on SkyFlashes/Sparrows are pretty wide, and the Tornado, while not small, is substantially slimmer than, say, an F-14 or F-15. As you can see, the outside edges of the fins on the front pair of missles extend beyond the fuselage edge in these pictures. Funny, huh?

Great model, uncusn. Did you dip the canopy in Future or anything? Looks very clear and non-distorting for a 1/72 canopy.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They're offset because the narrowness of the fuselage didn't permit un-staggered mounting. The wings on SkyFlashes/Sparrows are pretty wide, and the Tornado, while not small, is substantially slimmer than, say, an F-14 or F-15. As you can see, the outside edges of the fins on the front pair of missles extend beyond the fuselage edge in these pictures. Funny, huh?

Thanks. Knew it had to be something easy.
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC
wow u did a nice job on this plane,
keep up the good work
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a real beauty uscusn. Very neat paint and it is a nice change to see a tornado finished in Saudi livery. Just one thing I noticed, the box photo shows a pitot tube extending forward of the radome but you haven't included it, I don't have any reference photos of the F.3 so I'm not sure if they have the pitot tube still there as in the original ADV. Just wondered what you think?
Martin

The land of the carpet monster! and that was 24hrs not 2 by the way.!

Fly Navy!
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC

Great model, uncusn. Did you dip the canopy in Future or anything? Looks very clear and non-distorting for a 1/72 canopy. [/quote]

Never done that with Future though I do have some. Just used Blue Magic Polish. Also
lessens the chance of glue residue left over from the masking being left over on the glazing.

Fly Navy! Chuck
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
:-) Very nice Tornado I think I still have one of these, left over from when I used to build 1/72 modern. I think I have a slat/ flap set for it. I know it's a nice model and you have done it justice :-) Nice to see it in Saudi markings. Well done :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP