_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
rigging cables for WW1 biplanes
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
What diameter rigging cables would be to scale for a 1/32 WW1 fighter biplane?
I'm planning on using monofiliment nylon fishing line to simulate the cables. Thanks. Ron
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 05:03 PM UTC
Each machine design call for rigging of various diameters but lets ask if you are doing a German or British build? The British used "Flying wires that were flat in crossection. Landing wires were round in crossection. german aircraft used round crossection in all cases. But these round types were multistrand wrapped jobs. For a scale reference in monofilament try looking at other builds. You maybe looking at 3 lbs test line. Here is what I have used.

I have also used Kevlar thread for the flat RAFwires. There are some PE RAFwires in scale at this time.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 02:03 AM UTC
I spent a bit of time at one of the local fishing shops and was taking with the sells guy for what I need the line for . I ended up walking with a product from Berkley -Fireline 6lb with a 2lb test Dia . The line is black , but what I really like about this is that it is also braided ! It has the feel and look of steel cables . Perfect for 32 scale aircraft

I pick up 50 yards for 8 buck's .
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Thanks Terri -
Sounds perfect for the WNW LVG that I'm building. Ron
 _GOTOTOP