_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
airbrush purchase thoughts and insights
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC
I'm considering purchasing a Aztec 4702 or a Badger 105 Patriot airbrush. I've never owned an airbrush and am trying to make a decision simply on the basis of what I've read. It's kind of like shooting from the hip in the dark. Any comments on these or other airbrushes will be greatly appreciated. Ron
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:39 AM UTC
First of all, congratulations on choosing to go with an airbrush. Once you get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Tell us what options you are looking for and price range and we can help out a little more. But here are some thoughts.

You mentioned an Aztec 4702 and a Badger 105 Patriot as possible choices. Why these two? Do they have features you desire, or are they the ones that are available at the store where you shop? It is also important to consider the airbrush is only half the equipment. An airbrush is useless without a good air source. What are your budget considerations? You do get what you pay for. Does your budget include a compressor? The cheapest airbrushes are not much better than a rattle can, the more expensive ones can spray lines, and better ones can spray fine lines. Single Action (SA) or Double Action (DA) is a consideration. There are a lot of opinions, but it is ultimately up to what you are comfortable with for your money. You will probably want to upgrade in a few years, so that is another consideration. What kind of models and what scale are you going to be doing.

I used Badgers for years and always got good results from them. Never used an Aztec. Now I use a Paaschee and it is fantastic. If you have Hobby Lobby down there, check out their website for coupons. I got a nice Paasche DA for 40% off. They also have compressors.

hth
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:00 AM UTC
I have used both Aztec and Badger Airbrushes and for the money you are going to spend. You would be better off with a badger in the long run.

When I had my Aztec it only lasted me a year before I had to send it back for a rebuild. During that year I had to replace the commonly used nozzels due to the plastic they are made from and wear and tear.

I replaced it with a Badger Anthem 155 about 3-4 years ago and it still works as good as the day I bought it. I recently got a Badger 105 for X-mas & I from what I can gather it actually costs less than a Aztec. You can find it online for about 72.00 if your interested here is the link.

http://swannysmodels.com/

Click on the webairbrushes link and use the discount code given under the link when you checkout.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

Paul
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies -
Paul - How does the 105 Patriot compare to the Athum 155?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
Well Granted I am not used to it yet, so anything I say about the 105 is my skill with it only. I do know I can get a very fine line with the 105. Almost to the point of painting panel lines on a 1/48 Aircraft.

They basically brush( aside from the size line I can get) the same and have the same feel. Assembly basically the same. The biggest difference I see is I can get closer to a model in a tighter spot with the 105 due to its design.

Basically they have the same characteristics but are 2 different entities. I know that may sound weird but gravity feed brushes and siphon feed are different. Its a matter preference.

If I had to make a hard choice I would go with the 105 due to versatility, range of spray pattern and easy cleanup. That is not to say I am going to junk my 155 though. I still use it for big jobs. like base coats and such.

If you are inclined be sure to shop around for a compressor though. I don't know how much room you have or how tight your quarters are. I have a cheap $70 2 gallon compressor I picked up from Walmart about 6 years ago and she still runs like a champ. Most importantly though when I am spraying at night and the wife is sleeping she cannot hear it kick on, and the room I am in is right next to the bedroom.

Hope all this helps

Paul
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC
As Paul already said it, they're pretty much the same, the main only difference between the 105 and 155 is that 105 is gravity-fed, while 155 is siphon-fed.
Those two and the 360 are of the same "breed" of Badgers ABs, using mostly the same components (needles, nozzles, etc).
105:

155:

360:

The 360 is basically a combination of the two others, it can be used both as a gravity-fed and siphon-fed brush with its rotating front body. The smaller size of the color cup could be seen as a drawback though, depending on who you ask.

I've been using a 360 for several years, and been happy with it. The size of the color cup hasn't bothered me, as I mix and thin my paints in a syringe, so adding paint to the cup is a snap. Of course, the smaller cup is easier to spill, if not handled carefully when full. Although the option of siphon-feed is nice to have, I have used it for modeling-related airbrushing on just a few occasions.
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:44 PM UTC
O.K. Thanks to each of you for your inputs and insights. I've decided to order a Badger 105 Patriot and hose. I'm also getting a compressor at Harbor Freight with a 3 gallon tank and regulator. Also getting a moisture filter. Might have to head to a regular hardware store to get proper fitting connectors.
Will let you know how this plan works out. Thanks again. Ron
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
If the compressor you decide on comes with a hose. The badger hose may fit on hose that come with the compressor. Moisture traps are already designed to fit many compressors w/o any adapters.

By connecting the 2 hoses together you not only get a longer hose but it also adds extra protection against moisture.

My set up came with a 6 foot supply hose. By connecting the badger supply hose to it gave me 12 feet of hose to work with. So the compressor itself can be put in a spot that is not under foot.

One other suggestion I recommend is put some white plumbers tape on all the connections on the compressor. Otherwise you may have small leaks everywhere.

Congrats on your new acquisition. Just be patient with it and practice as much as you can.

Paul
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
I just wanted to add my own insight here. I agree with Paul, the Aztek heads do wear out after awhile, the ease of use seems to make up for that though. At least in my opinion. The body can wear out and has on me a couple of times over the last twelve years. I would add that Testors will replace your airbrush body free of charge at any time during the life of the airbrush. So you are out only some shipping cost.

I think the Aztek is the easiest of the airbrushes to use and if you take a look at my profile you can see all the models I have have been completed using the Aztek. The Aztek got me back into airbrushing, as I said, about a dozen years ago. I think it is a reasonable value.

I may be a little biased, even with the drawbacks of the Aztek, the heads wearing out, the body having something go wrong internally, I think it is a great brush to use. I really don't have any experience with the Badger or Paaschee or Iwata, I know they are good airbrushes too, it is a matter of what you get comfortable with I think. Hope this helps you out some. Russell
 _GOTOTOP