Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two Seater Campaign WNW LVG Mark K.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
Excellent decal work Mark with the lozenge , looks really sharp agaist the fuselage !

Come on Grenadier , join the group build ! Please...............
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thanks Ron and a hearty OOOHRAAHH and Semper Fi, thanks too Terri: I am taking a break. I found the decaling tedious. Anyone doing this or any other major lozenge decaling, I would recommend doing the upper first, wrapping the upper around the leading edge. Then, witht he under side, you can but it up against the upper wrap around, get the right or what looks good wrap, and you are done. I went over the tail section as I did the under side first, and tidied it up a bit. Next up is painting the bases and decaling the struts, then I can finally attach and rig the wings, and it should be completed. It has been an enjoyable; but at times tedious build. I don't think I would rush out and do another one. That being written, I did order the Junkers J-1. I just grew on me and beckoned.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 01:07 PM UTC
Mark,

It looks really good. Can't beleive plastic can be made to look like wood that way.

I saw this

Quoted Text

It is winter here, I don't ski, skate, snow mobile, snow board, ice fish or hang out in bars

And wondered how you could call yourself a Minnesotan, then I saw you were from Wisconson.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 03:05 PM UTC
Mark,

Excellent work all around. The lozenge can feel like a long drawn out struggle, especially the strips along the edges. But once it's done it will really shine. We have to get an Albatros out of you with the job you've done on this kit with wood grain.

Carry on.
Dwayne

P.S. If you put your kit on a large piece of single color paper or board without printing on it when you take photos the camera will not try to focus on anything but your kit. Also, stand back a bit and use your zoom more.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC
Thanks Dwayne for the tip and encouragement. I have an Encoure Albatros I want to do in Boelcke's markings, as well as a couple in 1/48 I want to try as well. Right now the emphasis is this LVG. I will use the plain paper or sheet on the next batch of photo's. I plan on taking them when it is finished or close to it.

Mark D. You wouldn't believe the difference living in Wisconsin makes. It truly is God's country.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You wouldn't believe the difference living in Wisconsin makes. It truly is God's country.

Sounds like you have never been to Eastern Tennessee.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
[/quote]

Sounds like you have never been to Eastern Tennessee.[/quote]

One of these days I plan on taking a motorcycle trip down in that area.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Since I'm not a Marine, I'm going to have to tell St. Peter about my time in Minnesota to get past the Pearly Gates.

Been to eastern Tenn, Great Smoky mountains are great, but I've found a nice slice of heaven just outside of Seattle.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 10:38 AM UTC
Be sure to visit Cades Cove in the GSM National Park.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be sure to visit Cades Cove in the GSM National Park.

I will scope that out when I get that way, thanks for the tip.
No pictures but I have finally put the last decal on tonight. I will let them dry and set up overnight, future the wings tomorrow, put in the turnbuckles, install the wings, rig and then final photo's. I touched up the tail undersurfaces, I just didn't like the way it looked, so I used the little excess lozenge to touch it up, turned out satisfactorily.
Great news about the impending release of the WNW DV/DVa. That lucky James Fahey!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,

It looks really good. Can't beleive plastic can be made to look like wood that way.

I saw this

Quoted Text

It is winter here, I don't ski, skate, snow mobile, snow board, ice fish or hang out in bars

And wondered how you could call yourself a Minnesotan, then I saw you were from Wisconson.

Thanks Mark. I know, sometimes looking at the work of others on this forum, I have to remind myself that I am looking at plastic. The craftsmanship is amazing.
:[]-- Now that I live in Wisconsin there is a definate difference betweend the residents of the two states. I think it is the accent.
lalanagas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tabasco, Mexico
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:09 PM UTC
very good work.
I see that you and me are to the ends of the scales. 1/32..............1/72

in the same way, I comply to this scale. because he allows me. to store but models.

y follow your work.

the Voss Plane. it continues advancing

greetings
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC
Here's a snapshot I took of the Shuttleworth LVG just after she landed from her last flight. You can see how close you are to capturing the look!

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
Great photo Burl: Thanks for posting that one. I gotta say (write) it again, this is really a great kit. I will be wrapping it up this week and posting photo's of it.

Best
Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Okay folks: Here are some photo's of the wings with the finished Lozenge.

I cut out patches where the struts go. Don't know if they show up but they are there.

and the underside of the upper wing:

As stated in another builders blog I tightened up the tail undersurfaces by cutting out new patches slightly smaller than the tail surface. I had to do a little splicing, but the overall effect is much better

as compared to this

The decaling became real tedious but I am glad I stuck with it and I am sure the overall appearance will be noteworthy.
On to turnbuckles and finaly assembly!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Greetings folks:

Okay, I got all the turnbuckles installed, the lower wings on, the radiator pipe and the exhaust stack. I weathered the exhaust stack as I have seen how exhaust turns to a rust color. I also blued the bends as they come out of the exhaust manifold. I don't know how accurate this is, but I know on motorcycle pipes, (which are chromed) they turn blue due to the heat. I have seen it on non chromped pipes as well, so thought I would apply it here.

The radiator pipe. Not a big deal, but it is now installed. I painted it Tesors MM GunMetal to make it stand out against the the motor.

The Wolfe Propeller

And the lower wings.

I am hoping to have this wrapped by the weekend. It has been an enjoyable build up to this point in time.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Fantastic so far Mark !

You did a super job on the lozenge and rib taping , I look forward to seeing you rig this beauty now

I was able to get the LVG . Cory at the hobby shop order some in to see how they would sell and this one is on hold for me . Just might have to get him to bring in the Albbie now ......
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was able to get the LVG . Cory at the hobby shop order some in to see how they would sell and this one is on hold for me . Just might have to get him to bring in the Albbie now ......

Thanks Terri: Haply the pictures don't show the occassional imbedded cat hair. Your hobby shop guy has WNW kits? Cool beans! I plan on using the EZ line for rigging starting tomorrow.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Looking good Mark! Can't wait to se the final pics.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC
Mark,
Excellent work my friend.The Lozenge and rib tape decaling is outstanding. LOL and no imbedded cat hair visible either.Lord knows that having cats around the modeling bench can be very useful for such task as derigging your latest project or just eating it.

Looking forward to your next update.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Proud Owner of three Cats
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri: Haply the pictures don't show the occassional imbedded cat hair. Your hobby shop guy has WNW kits? Cool beans! I plan on using the EZ line for rigging starting tomorrow.

I've been working with the shop manager for a few months now on bring in a few of the WNW kit's . He has gotten lot's of request for them from folks who just don't have the plastic to charge things on . The two main ones which are the most popular are the LVG and the Junkers so far going by the builds on line . If they do well he will bring more of them in in the from of a Group buy .

So have to see how this trail run goes with them .............. But it makes me Happy !
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Your LVG is looking really good, Mark. You are in the home stretch! Once you get started on the rigging, it goes pretty quickly. Nothing near as tedious as those lozenge decals!

I really like the work you did on your engine. When I built mine, I opted not to put the insulation wraps on the manifold pipes. I just couldn't get it to look right. Now, I wish I'd tried a little harder. Yours looks great. Nice touch with the red bands on the cylinders too.

I look forward to seeing your completed model.

Cheers,
Eric
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Absolutely stunning work!
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
With the lozenge done, you are on the downhill slide. It should not take too much longer. So, is this going to make it to SWMBO's TV? I think it will be done just in time to talk her ito an Albie.

btw, it really is looking great.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments Eric and RAG. Yes, I am on the fast downhill leg with rigging and upper wing. Eric; I was scoping out your build pages and I am going to take your lead and rig the inboard lower wing before installing the upper wing. I noticed that there is dihedral in the actual a/c, but with the weight of the wing, a lot of the finished models I have seen have "anhedral". I set it in the box to serve as a jig to generate enough oposite force to provide some dihedral. More on this as the model nears completion.
This one won't end up on her T.V.! I asked her if she wanted another one and she said one is enough, she doesn't want the place to look "cluttered", whereupon hearing her utter those words, I cast her a sideways glance.