_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Taking a "Break" from Modelling
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi All,

Unfortunately Sam (Camogirl) had quite a nasty fall while enjoying her other hobby of horse riding last night. We spent 3 hours in A&E while they decided if she could go into surgery. Unfortunately they couldn't as a nastier accident took priority so she was put in a temporary cast and kept over night, she finally got into surgery this afternoon.

I've just got back from visiting and Sam's OK and taking this all a bit better than we all thought she would. She has actually broken her left tibia in two places and as such here leg is going to look like this for the foreseeable future.

The need to operate again in a couple of days just to check if the bones are setting correctly and to check that there are no other fragments. so it looks while she'll be in hospital for the next week at least.

She's is a bit happier now as she has got access to the TV, Phone and internet but she's disappointed that for some reason Kitmaker is blocked Fortunately I work for the NHS so I'm taking my work laptop in tomorrow afternoon so she maybe able to post here herself briefly
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Ouch, hope she is feeling better, and on her way back home soon. A little glue a little paint no one will know it happened.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
Ouch, that does look nasty. Hope she gets better soon.

As chuck said, "A little glue, a little paint"...
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Sam, and I suggest you ask to keep those clamps when you're done, they would be good for some short-run kit fuselage alignments !

Cheers, D
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
Best of luck Sam and wishing for a speedy and complete recovery!

Hermann
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
ouch

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hi Sam,

I wish you a speedy recovery. It seems it is the season of broken legs! My Mum is currently in the hospital for the same reason...

Jean-Luc
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC
Ouch! That is a crunchy hurt. Hope you are well soon. Saw the vid of you at play with horses.
I'm going to guess you wanted to jump but certain equine had other ideas?
a little paint,glue, don't forget the decals!,
Rick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
Sam , I wish you a speedy recovery so you can be back at home !
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
Good luck sam and toom hope to have you back soon.you think you could sneek me one of those clamps I got a B-1B I could use it on.

Best wishes,
Justin
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC
Ouch! I really feel bad for you guys. And KitMaker blocked! How dare they! If you find out any info on why they might be blocking a "G" rated site like this please let me know. If the block is domain based, try using the IP for the network... http://208.109.171.57

Wouldn't you know it too... I just sent your package off to you today.

Cheers,
Jim
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 06:22 PM UTC
Thanks guy. Nope there were no jumps it was a flatwork lesson. Dont worry Jim I can stil do a review
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the support guys and Gals

Quoted Text

Ouch! I really feel bad for you guys. And KitMaker blocked! How dare they! If you find out any info on why they might be blocking a "G" rated site like this please let me know. If the block is domain based, try using the IP for the network... http://208.109.171.57

Wouldn't you know it too... I just sent your package off to you today.

Cheers,
Jim

It seems to be only certain sites of Kitmaker though. The NHS is a funny entity the hospitals come under what is called an Acute Trust where as I work in networks for the Primary Care Trust (PCT) which deals with the GP's and anything that doesn't come under the hospitals. The PCT only block things that maybe a detriment to the network eg. Streaming media, social networking sites, gambling, etc.

Sam will be using the Patient Internet so I'm not sure why it will be blocked (along with many other forums), I'll try and have a chat with their network team and see if I can find out why for you Jim.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi Sam

Ohh no! Another broken leg - what is it about this month!? And yours is broken in two places - that does sound nasty!

Take good care of yourself. Once you're sat up in bed with a decent modelling tray I'm sure the other patients on the ward will soon get to love the smell of cellulose thinners and the whirr of the compressor!

I fell off a horse a fair few time when I was younger, but luckily always landed on my head, so no harm was done!

All the best

Rowan
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 09:00 PM UTC
Ouch, That hurts!

I´ve broken my leg once, and I know what you´re going trough!

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Now You´ll get plenty of time for modelling, tough!

Best wishes and many hugs!

Stefan E

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
I feel sorry for you, Sam! Hope it doesn't hurt too much now. Take your time for recovery, there's nothing more important than ones own health.

Torsten
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
Just a quick update to say that Sam is holding up and will be going back into surgery today. The plan is apparently to either stitch up the wound or to look into a skin graft if they can't stitch. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you all know.

Jim - I couldn't find out much info as the internet is provided by a 3 party provider but it seems to be domain based as Sam can get onto aeroscale.co.uk but can't browse any of the other sites once in hope this helps
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:30 AM UTC
Another update. The second op has gone OK and the leg is all stitched up now. They will be checking to see if it starting to heal on Monday if so Sam will be passed on to Physio to get her use to using crutches and cart a 1Kg biplane jig attached to her leg. If it's not healing then it'll be a couple more days as they will need to skin graft

Unfortunately they have a potential virus outbreak on the ward so they are restricting visiting. luckily I work for the NHS and carry my ID with me so they keep letting me in (just don't tell them I work in IT )

I could resist taking this photo

What could the arrow mean?
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC
I don't like how this year starts!!

At first the "Voncuda" model destruction!!

Now this

Best wishes to your wife Mr. Allen

And now something funny to change this bad condition

"Have a Break, Have a Kit-kat"

Cheers Nick
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
My best greetings to both of you. If you can get your next leg cast in camouflage colours! At any rate my sincere best wishes and prayers for a good recovery. It is a double ooooouch if ever I saw one.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What could the arrow mean?

Usually that arrow means "This Way Up" . . . . Hmmm, best check that they pinned the correct leg there mate !!

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually that arrow means "This Way Up" . . . . Hmmm, best check that they pinned the correct leg there mate!

Judging on the monumental cock up that the doctor made inserting the canular and attaching the drip today, he inserted it into the muscle rather than a vein and as such her arm swelled to the size of a tennis ball. Fortunately I was there to call a nurse who removed it and has now taken her off the drip for the rest of her stay.

After this episode I now believe that the arrow is to indicate that this is the broken leg (as if the biplane jig didn't give it away )

Sam managed to be allowed to sit in a chair today and is getting in and out of bed now so all being well if she can convince the physio's we're hoping that she'll be discharged by mid to end of the week.

Sorry if my posts seem to ramble but it's the only thing that's keeping me sane at the moment
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hang in there and try to stay sane. Bad stuff that being in Hospital. Really sorry to hear about the "Doctor's" not knowing a vein from a muscle. Last I was in Hospital they blew my arm up to the size of my leg and turned it a deep purple, still have scares from it. You keep and I on things and give our best to Sam.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC
Every patient in a hospital needs an active advocate. You are Sam's and well meaning, tired or ignorant med staff have to be put in check. Trust me on this. I know.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
I know the feeling of staying in the hospital . 6 years ago I had major surgery done and they keep feeding me foods which I was highly allergic too even though this was marked down on my chart . They didn't know how to read . Hang in there guy's Sam will be on her way home vert soon
 _GOTOTOP