_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
White metal parts? Help requested
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
I've got some white metal parts (props and cowling covers)
Does anyone have any advice on the clean-up and painting of these
materials? Will it wreck knife blades? Do I need enamels (at least
as a base coat)

Here is pic of what I'm talking about.

Aeroclub Airfix Sunderland upgrades

I'm going to treat it pretty much like styrene and see how I get on.

Thanks in advance
JP
jabo6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi JP, Clean them up the same way as you would a plastic or resin part and then prime with either tamiya or floquil primer or go to your auto parts store and get some automotive primer. if you dont prime the paint you use either acylics or enamel will rub off as you handle the parts
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
In my youth I did a lot of Games Workshop modelling, so I have quite a lot of experience with white metal.

It is a lot softer than steel, so knife blades still cut it fairly easily. Clean-up is pretty much the same as plastic- only the mold seams should need any work- most of which can be done with a shrap knife- go lightly over things several times, as if you cut deeply it is hard to control where the blade goes.

Unless you polish it, the surface texture enables it to take paint very well. All Citadel paints are acrylic and have been since the beginning- certainly no need for enamels- I don't think they would adhere any better anyway. Acrylics are also probably less likely to have problems over the lifetime of the model, as they are more stretchy, and any very light knocks will not crack the paint, where as (I guess) enamels are more brittle, and would crack if the props got bent even a tiny bit.
 _GOTOTOP